Etape Caledonia 2024 starting in Pitlochry.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I am looking at it but only the 40 miles route due to my age ( over 70 ). Does @Mo1959 know the area? It is scheduled for 12 May 2024.
Has anyone done the 40 mile rouite?

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Never done it, but the 40 mile route misses out the climb up Schiehallion so it shouldn’t be too bad.

Slick

Guru
I am looking at it but only the 40 miles route due to my age ( over 70 ). Does @Mo1959 know the area? It is scheduled for 12 May 2024.
Has anyone done the 40 mile rouite?

I've never done it either but I know a few others have on here but I'm not sure if they are still around. Its a pretty iconic route and as far as I can tell will still be very rewarding despite missing out on the climb. I've always felt it comes pretty early in the year, but now you have reminded me, might stick my name down for next year. :okay:

13 rider

Guru
You just peaked my interest , I've been up and done etape Loch Ness , quite fancy another trip up to the area
If my memory serves me correctly I'm sure @ satnavsaysstraighton lived near Loch Rannock and there was a forum ride around it which I think @Pat "5mph" attended possibly

steverob

Guru
The last thread about Etape Caledonia on here was from the 2021 edition (delayed due to Covid) and that wasn't exactly complimentary - https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/etape-caledonia-2021-clusterf-k-101.282750/

Looks like a different company had taken over the running of the event but weren't doing as good a job as the previous organisers and that was leading to a lot of complaints. But having said that, they've had three years since then to get their act in order and the previous editions before they took over were well reviewed, so chances are it's fine by now.

viniga

Guru
I did this a few times in the noughties. I know that route and roads, what do you want to know? On checking the 40m route does include some climbing but bypasses the longer Schehallion climb. Nice scenic area with generally rolling terrain and Scottish weather.

I've done the longer one a few times in the distant past (I did it 4 times, 2008-11). The last climb into Pitlochry can be a bit of a climb but I think that's mainly as folk coming down from Schehallion are in a big gear and get caught out. If you are missing Schehallion that shouldn't be a problem. Whilst I never had bad weather so as to speak, the other thing I can remember is the change in temperature; One ride I had was minus temperatures at the start (probably due to windchill) and was +17deg C at the end in the Sunshine.

UphillSlowly

Making my way slowly uphill
Wife and I are signed up to do this for the first time. Commenting more to follow the thread. Perhaps see some of you there. Book accommodation early is what I have heard from a regular...

Scottish Scrutineer

Über Member
Wife and I are signed up to do this for the first time. Commenting more to follow the thread. Perhaps see some of you there. Book accommodation early is what I have heard from a regular...

I agree about accommodation, book as soon as possible, especially if you want to stay close by (advisable as the road closures limit access before the start). We've stayed at the Faskally campsite in a static 'van for the weekend.

dhd.evans1

EDIT: Just to point out i was the OP of the Clustef**K 101 thread. Never felt so bitter about an event as i did the 2021 Etape Caledonia.

Happy to give my two cents; 2021 was a mess, 2022 was evidently better and 2023 a similarly improved trajectory. I didn't bother with 2022, was out of shape for 2023 and 2024 i'm keen on but.... it's so expensive. I'm waiting for local club members to drop out closer to the time and pick up their tikcets. It's £92.66 (including booking fees) for the 85mi route 🤢🤢🤢

The 40mi route cuts out Schiehallion entirely (it's a short, sharp, nasty climb) and the Fortingall loop (which is lumpy, no drags or climbs). Logierait ('Climb 4') on their map here is like 200yds or so of miserably steep end of ride climb (Google Map link here) up a farm track. Other than that you don't miss much of the route; the views over Loch Tay in the first 20mi or so are extraordinary.

EDIT: Just to point out i was the OP of the Clustef**K 101 thread. Never felt so bitter about an event as i did the 2021 Etape Caledonia.

Happy to give my two cents; 2021 was a mess, 2022 was evidently better and 2023 a similarly improved trajectory. I didn't bother with 2022, was out of shape for 2023 and 2024 i'm keen on but.... it's so expensive. I'm waiting for local club members to drop out closer to the time and pick up their tikcets. It's £92.66 (including booking fees) for the 85mi route 🤢🤢🤢

The 40mi route cuts out Schiehallion entirely (it's a short, sharp, nasty climb) and the Fortingall loop (which is lumpy, no drags or climbs). Logierait ('Climb 4') on their map here is like 200yds or so of miserably steep end of ride climb (Google Map link here) up a farm track. Other than that you don't miss much of the route; the views over Loch Tay in the first 20mi or so are extraordinary.

Sweet baby cheeses. What do you get for over £1 a mile?

I did the tour of Anglesey this year and that was about £50 for 106 miles.

dhd.evans1

Sweet baby cheeses. What do you get for over £1 a mile?

I did the tour of Anglesey this year and that was about £50 for 106 miles.

Closed roads which is awesome. A medal, racepack and feed stations. Marshalls are all volunteers. You pay extra for parking, and pay extra for premium parking. I'm fairly sure it'll get to a point where you have to have 20p for the portaloos at the feed stations...

But yes, i am absolutely with you that is obscene. I cannot recall how much it was in previous years when it was organised locally (or, at least, not by Limelight Sports) but the price is certainly offputting!

Closed roads which is awesome. A medal, racepack and feed stations. Marshalls are all volunteers. You pay extra for parking, and pay extra for premium parking. I'm fairly sure it'll get to a point where you have to have 20p for the portaloos at the feed stations...

But yes, i am absolutely with you that is obscene. I cannot recall how much it was in previous years when it was organised locally (or, at least, not by Limelight Sports) but the price is certainly offputting!

Ah right. I did a Wiggle sportive with closed roads but you'd just not trust road closures. Which paid off as a Landrover came around a blind bend in the lanes.

Would those roads get much traffic anyway? I'm sceptical of feed stations too. Great when they work but sometimes there's huge queues and or limited food / drink. Easier to take most of your own like you'd do on most rides.

Top Bottom