Etape Caledonia 2024 - review

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dhd.evans1

So, after 2021's absolute shitshow i swore i'd never give the organiser another penny of mine. I decided to give my legs a run out, however, as i'd been putting the miles out.

I acquired a ticket from a local cyclist for £40, so i felt a little better about not giving them my money!

Rumour had it that 2022 and 2023 where much improved from 2021, so i was cautiously optimistic. However, my planning wasn't the best so i had a gig to play on Saturday night before i set off on Sunday morning. A tiring gig ended at 2300hrs and i was in my bed and sleeping by 0030hrs.
Only to have to wake at 0400hrs to travel to Pitlochry. So, 3.5hrs sleep wasn't ideal.

Driving up to Pitlochry was the usual drive, lots of bikes on cars on the way. Parked up in my usual super-secret parking spot and biked 5mins into the centre.

A vibrant event village and hubub in the main drag of Pitlochry was excellent. It felt like the event of old. Pens were reasonably stacked with fast riders in A, fast-ish riders in B (that was me, i thought!) and stacked back. The event recommended being in the pens 90mins before start time (absolutely sod that) and i was 30mins early but i think in future i'll arrive at 0615hrs for the 0630hrs start.

Commentator was a chap giving some cringe "Raid Shadow Legends!" type paid promotion for Wahoo (who obviously are a sponsor) for the most part, chipping in that Garmin was crap, trying to entertain the crowd. It was 70% effective in my view. Loud pumping music, a real atmosphere. Some reiterated T&Cs ("this isn't a race! You are not racing! Be safe! No headphones!") affected the flow of his patter, but heyho.

Start was uncomplicated, riders peeling off in peletons here and there.

My pre-ride setup yesterday identified a dying shifter. A replacement gear cable for the rear mech soothed it, but I was 10mins into the ride when I realised I didn't have my biggest, easiest cog. Determined to push on I just grit my teeth and tackled hills without it. The first 20 odd miles to Kinloch Rannoch felt sluggish, tired and hard. 3 and a half hours of sleep might be to blame.

Stopped at the first feed station and hung the bike up, spinning the back wheel.

It spun freewheel for half a second then ground to a halt. Oh fark. Quick look at the brake pads on the wheel and yep, sure enough, they weren't just rubbing they were stuck to the rotor. Suddenly the first 20 miles made sense. I'd been riding on hard mode. Freed them up and the mech at the feed station sorted my cable issue. Fueled and fixed the next 30 miles were a breeze! Kudos to the first feed station which had toilets, water, gels, bananas, flapjacks and a real life mechanic doing repairs!

I stopped at the pre-Schiehallion climb feed station. Normally I'd ride through. Got a bacon roll from the Scouts (£3 plus £2 donation to them) and some coffee and the climb thereafter was was a fully seated one for me and my legs felt fresh.

Fast descent down the back of Schiehallion but something just didn't feel right; gaining speed was fine but when I pulled on my back brake? Nothing.

shoot.

Stopped, adjusted, moved on.

For the rest of the ride I didn't feel confident in the bike; creaks, rattling and general malaise because it's a heavy farker meant I really throttled my effort.

At 75mi I lost the gumption to finish the course. I finished, but the fight was gone out of me.

Next year I'll either get my good bike ready, or I'll hire something. I'd definitely return for the price.

steverob

Guru
Good news that the organisation of the event seems to be getting back to what it used to be, even if due to your bike issues you weren't able to fully enjoy the ride. Well done on at least finishing, I know from experience that once you lose that mojo while out on a ride it can be a lot more tempting to abandon!

Slick

Guru
So, after 2021's absolute shitshow i swore i'd never give the organiser another penny of mine. I decided to give my legs a run out, however, as i'd been putting the miles out.

I acquired a ticket from a local cyclist for £40, so i felt a little better about not giving them my money!

Rumour had it that 2022 and 2023 where much improved from 2021, so i was cautiously optimistic. However, my planning wasn't the best so i had a gig to play on Saturday night before i set off on Sunday morning. A tiring gig ended at 2300hrs and i was in my bed and sleeping by 0030hrs.
Only to have to wake at 0400hrs to travel to Pitlochry. So, 3.5hrs sleep wasn't ideal.

Driving up to Pitlochry was the usual drive, lots of bikes on cars on the way. Parked up in my usual super-secret parking spot and biked 5mins into the centre.

A vibrant event village and hubub in the main drag of Pitlochry was excellent. It felt like the event of old. Pens were reasonably stacked with fast riders in A, fast-ish riders in B (that was me, i thought!) and stacked back. The event recommended being in the pens 90mins before start time (absolutely sod that) and i was 30mins early but i think in future i'll arrive at 0615hrs for the 0630hrs start.

Commentator was a chap giving some cringe "Raid Shadow Legends!" type paid promotion for Wahoo (who obviously are a sponsor) for the most part, chipping in that Garmin was crap, trying to entertain the crowd. It was 70% effective in my view. Loud pumping music, a real atmosphere. Some reiterated T&Cs ("this isn't a race! You are not racing! Be safe! No headphones!") affected the flow of his patter, but heyho.

Start was uncomplicated, riders peeling off in peletons here and there.

My pre-ride setup yesterday identified a dying shifter. A replacement gear cable for the rear mech soothed it, but I was 10mins into the ride when I realised I didn't have my biggest, easiest cog. Determined to push on I just grit my teeth and tackled hills without it. The first 20 odd miles to Kinloch Rannoch felt sluggish, tired and hard. 3 and a half hours of sleep might be to blame.

Stopped at the first feed station and hung the bike up, spinning the back wheel.

It spun freewheel for half a second then ground to a halt. Oh fark. Quick look at the brake pads on the wheel and yep, sure enough, they weren't just rubbing they were stuck to the rotor. Suddenly the first 20 miles made sense. I'd been riding on hard mode. Freed them up and the mech at the feed station sorted my cable issue. Fueled and fixed the next 30 miles were a breeze! Kudos to the first feed station which had toilets, water, gels, bananas, flapjacks and a real life mechanic doing repairs!

I stopped at the pre-Schiehallion climb feed station. Normally I'd ride through. Got a bacon roll from the Scouts (£3 plus £2 donation to them) and some coffee and the climb thereafter was was a fully seated one for me and my legs felt fresh.

Fast descent down the back of Schiehallion but something just didn't feel right; gaining speed was fine but when I pulled on my back brake? Nothing.

shoot.

Stopped, adjusted, moved on.

For the rest of the ride I didn't feel confident in the bike; creaks, rattling and general malaise because it's a heavy farker meant I really throttled my effort.

At 75mi I lost the gumption to finish the course. I finished, but the fight was gone out of me.

Next year I'll either get my good bike ready, or I'll hire something. I'd definitely return for the price.

Forgive my memory, as the covid years just blend in to one another, but was 21 not cancelled?

My brother and I had a ticket for it, but he cashed his in when it was finally scrapped but I was determined to ride it and I did in September 22.

Was a cracking ride, and I'm delighted i did it.

Reminds me of my London to Paris ride. About a mile in we hit the first hill and I flicked the left shifter to drop the front to the small ring. Nothing! So had to grind my way up that hill in the big ring.

Thankfully it was a very quick fix. I remembered the handlebars spinning round as I was lifting the bike out of my car and I must have caught the front derailleur wire, pulling it out of the junction box (bike had Di2). I spotted it straight away and plugged it back in and set of again with no other mishaps.

I still remember that moment of panic though thinking I’d be stuck in the big ring at least for day one.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I'm more confused now than ever, as I did that in September 21 and it was a cracking day.

Also, the link is for an OP in January 22. :wacko:

Oh dear. I didn't notice the date. Oh well, I tried.

Slick

Guru
Sept 21, the reverse route? Found it an absolutely miserable experience going reverse.

That's why I'm confused.

We were definitely booked for for 2020, which was cancelled.

Mrs Slick was going out kill me because we got the keys to our new house the same weekend this ran, and she wasn't amused that instead of lugging boxes around, I dragged her up to inverness so I could ride my bike. We will be 3 years in this house come September 24.

That means I rode the etape 2021, but rode what I always thought was the traditional way.

I left Inverness on a beautiful morning and the run down to the Fort was amazing. I did it with a really strong cyclist and he powered 9n and I clung on to his coat tails as best I could. Everyone out in the wee villages and even just the lone houses by the roadside was brilliant that definitely helped push me on. I didn't stop at any feed stations, as I can't eat and ride at the best of times, and I certainly wasn't tackling that climb after eating.

As you know, the sun shone all day and I had a great run into the finish, even stopping at my mates mums house for a cold one, absolute class.

I've got nothing but good memories from the day.

OP
OP
dhd.evans1

dhd.evans1

That's why I'm confused.

We were definitely booked for for 2020, which was cancelled.

Mrs Slick was going out kill me because we got the keys to our new house the same weekend this ran, and she wasn't amused that instead of lugging boxes around, I dragged her up to inverness so I could ride my bike. We will be 3 years in this house come September 24.

That means I rode the etape 2021, but rode what I always thought was the traditional way.

I left Inverness on a beautiful morning and the run down to the Fort was amazing. I did it with a really strong cyclist and he powered 9n and I clung on to his coat tails as best I could. Everyone out in the wee villages and even just the lone houses by the roadside was brilliant that definitely helped push me on. I didn't stop at any feed stations, as I can't eat and ride at the best of times, and I certainly wasn't tackling that climb after eating.

As you know, the sun shone all day and I had a great run into the finish, even stopping at my mates mums house for a cold one, absolute class.

I've got nothing but good memories from the day.

Are you thinking of Etape Loch Ness?

steverob

Guru
@Slick If you are talking of the 2021 Etape Loch Ness, then you're right, that WAS a fantastic event. I'm sure other editions of it have been equally great as well, but that was the one I took part in and thoroughly enjoyed myself.

I am tempted to do Etape Calendonia at some point as well, but logistically it will take a bit of working out first, so probably not next year.

Top Bottom