Could someone help on how to use a D Lock & cable

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Puddles

Do I need to get the spray plaster out?
I have ordered a D lock with the cable thing it is a
Kryptonite Series 2 Shackle D Lock (NEW VERSION) with a 4' Cable

So having heard lots about people not using them correctly, how do I use them properly to make sure they are doing their job?

musa

Über Member
cable through the front tyre and run the cable against the crack so if you rotate it, it can move past the cable. then the dlock through the rear wheel AND frame

make sure the frame is locked wheels you can replace if unfortunate

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
The Dlock goes through the frame and whatever object you are locking the bike too.
The cable will have 2 loops. So it goes through the Dlock, through your wheels and back through the Dlock.

And have a read of this from Sheldon Brown

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
There are two sort of ways to use the cable - in one both ends are threaded onto the D-lock or if you need it to be longer you can thread it through a wheel and then back on itself through the loop and only put one loop bit on the D-lock. Usually only need it that way if locking through several bikes.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
One way D locks are breached is with a ram inside the D.

To deter this, try to lock the bike to something which fills as much of the internal area of the D as possible.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I like to D-Lock the rear triangle, so the frame and rear wheel are locked to the rack and then loop the cable through the front wheel. Or if not possible, just D Lock the frame and loop the cable through both wheels.

Think of it as the D is the lock and must lock the frame to the stand, the cable is just for the wheels. The worst thing you can do is decide the D doesn't reach the stand/object and use the cable to secure the bike to it instead. The cables are purely to stop opportunists running off with your wheels, not for locking your bike up as theyre much much easier to cut through.

Top Bottom