Could this Frame be a" Flying Scot "?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am sorry I know you may have seen this frame before just after I had bought it. At that time I thought it was a Woodrup as the person who sold it thought it was as he had been told the same thing.
So in an effort to try to confirm what it was I sent some pictures off but did not get a response.
I continued looking for any similarities in pictures on line and in vintage cycling magazines with slight results. But it was yesterday whilst I was looking to see what Head badge would fit between those hole centres 27mm,that by scaling up some pictures of badges I found that the Woodrup coat of arms badge was too big. What was needed was something smaller. The Dawes laurel leaf circular emblem seemed ideal, it was then I noticed "The Flying Scot" badge it also looked about right.
I went on to Classic Lightweights web site and saw an orange Flying Scot Continental Supreme which looked similar. On reading the text it said that the company fitted rear curved brake bridges with diamond reinforcing plates. I was getting interested and found " the Flying Scot " History pages web site.
The site was well put together giving a full history of the company and what was more interesting dates, models, brochures, frame number I.D. and where to find it.
With the information I could source the individual bits of my bike from the type of fork crown with the 5cm internal fork blade strengthening plate to the modified Cyclo front fork drop out.
The question of as to where the frame number is, was also answered. The letter F on the bottom bracket may be only part of it. The letter F would indicate a 1956 year. The number was painted on to the fork steerer section and could have been removed when I looked for it. There could be a number stamped into the back of the fork crown which I will have to look for.
I have found that I can find all of the features of my frame within the web site and it makes me think that the frame might be a Flying Scot Continental Super or Supreme.
IMGP3261.JPG

Attachments

• IMGP3115.JPG
    IMGP3115.JPG
    321.9 KB · Views: 102
  • IMGP3116.JPG
    IMGP3116.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 92
  • IMGP3118.JPG
    IMGP3118.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 71
  • IMGP3120.JPG
    IMGP3120.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 68
I can't help you, but good investigation skills!

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
I can't help you, but good investigation skills!
Thanks. It has been a bit of a search but I think I have finally resolved it.

One bit that I read in Classic Lightweights said that the brake bridge with the diamond fillets was a speciality of theirs, so when I saw on the Flying Scot web site that the front fork inner strengthening plate was another feature I delved deeper.
It is a very well finished frame with very thin chain and seat stays.

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
Well! I have just come back from my garage after removing the said frame from where it was hanging.

I was trying to see if I could find any more hidden numbers, it was difficult to see the letter underneath the bottom bracket now that it is in primer.
I removed the front mudguard to have a look at the back of the fork crown and sure enough there were marks. What looks like a cone and a capital F.
Well at least they are consistent!
I thought I could make out an impression on the left rear drop out " olo"! n olo? Campagnolo.
So the frame and forks are a pair.
The frame numbers are where they say they should be.
I think that it is now more than likely a Flying Scot.

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
Doh! I've had a Homer Simpson moment.

I've been on the net and checked their frame numbers again. There is a size difference between the stamp characters that they used, Capital letters are bigger than the number stamps, also the frames were numbered numerically each year starting from 1. It could explain why I can only find One digit.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Do i mention the word Russ Cycles to you ?

The below is from somebody with Russ frame on facebook page vintage cycles

"If there is a number stamped on the back of the fork crown that means its a good chance of being a Russ frame."

Last edited:
OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
Yes i can see the 4F markings clearly
It wasn't so obvious in bright sunshine when I was looking for a series of numbers. But at the time I didn't realize that that was the frame number.

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
I have been doing a bit more research and making things for the frame.
Thanks to the Flying Scot History web site I have been able to find out that the frame was most likely to have been the fourth frame built in September 1955 at David Rattray and Co.Ltd. Glasgow.
I have now located the frame number on the back of the fork crown which matches that on the bottom bracket.
After a few experiments I managed to make my own copy of a head badge made from a thin sheet of brass. I have also been playing at making my own transfers using gummed parcel tape.
The other work I have carried out is to mask out and spray some sections of the frame white.
IMGP6471.JPG

Attachments

• IMGP6394.JPG
    IMGP6394.JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 57
  • IMGP6415.JPG
    IMGP6415.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 54
  • IMGP6450.JPG
    IMGP6450.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 53
  • IMGP6452.JPG