Could you help with this situation please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

temavrn

Hello!
A needle (i am not a native English speaker, sorry) or one of these long sticks along the wheel has pierced the metal base of the wheel. I tried needletool (needle key), pliers but couldn't get it out.
What should i do ?
P_20180102_145437.jpg

P_20180102_145704.jpg

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
It's called a spoke in English. On the inside of the rim where the spoke goes towards the hub should be a nipple with flats that a small adjustable spanner or specific spoke key tool can turn... You should be able to see the bit inside the rim if you lift the rubber tape that the spoke has punched through.

But probably the thread on either spoke or nipple has failed for it to end up as pictured. You may need a new spoke and nipple of the correct size, then to set it up so the wheel is round, so you may feel this is a job for a bike repair shop.

Ajax Bay

Guru
:welcome:What you can see is the top end of a spoke.
Take the wheel off.
Take the tyre and inner tube off.
Take the rim tape off - the yellow tape. (Carefully, unless you decide to replace the tape (looks like a good idea to me)
Use a file to grind down the spoke end to the level of the nipple.
Check the rest of the spoke ends (and file any down that are sticking up).
Replace rim tape, tyre and inner, and inflate.
Ride and enjoy.
Edit: @mjr may be right and the nipple has failed though with the spoke previously in tension, why would it stick up like that?. Pluck that spoke and the ones next to it and see if the tension is different.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Edit: @mjr may be right and the nipple has failed though with the spoke previously in tension, why would it stick up like that?. Pluck that spoke and the ones next to it and see if the tension is different.
Good point. Failed spokes usually flop around not poke through. Does the wheel seem round or does spinning it on the axle look like the rim is wobbling or wandering?

OP
OP
temavrn

temavrn

The wheel seems to be round, no wobbling. But i also read that it is probably possible to ride even without 1 spoke...

Ajax Bay

Guru
Yes, with that many spokes, you may be able to take all the first steps I said, and then unscrew the nipple (little bolt that holds the spke to the rim) completely, and then just pull/bend the spoke out of the rim and thread it out of the hub. It's a left hand spoke (I think) so the chain sprocket will not be in the way. Then see if the wheel is still OK to ride (ie does not rub on the brakes).

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
That spoke looks much too long to fit that wheel correctly. I can't believe that it is the original one. Has it ever been replaced at some time? If so, it's the wrong size.

If the wheel is true and the spoke tight, I shouldn't worry. Just file everything down as necessary (as Ajax said).

It does make you realise how convenient box-section rims are.

Hi and :welcome:.

As said previously, it looks as though the spoke may have been replaced by one of the wrong length at some time . You may need to replace it with a shorter one at some point as there may not be enough thread left for you to tighten it.
You are lucky that it is on that side as it will be easier to replace than the other side.

Top Bottom