Could you outpace a bear?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I spent a nervous night in a tent in the Rockies after a bear sighting. The black ones are not as dangerous as grizzleys but you need to follow the Bear Code like these cyclists.

https://www.outdoorlife.com/survival/montana-grizzly-scares-cyclists/

Baldy

Über Member
I'm planning a trip to bear country in a month's time, or I hope I can. Major floods in Yellowstone at the moment. I'll be backpacking this time not biking. The general idea is to make lots of noise and let the bears know something big is there.

Sounds to me like you need to be lucky
If the bear is looking for dinner or is bored then you have a problem
If it is not all that hungry and doesn't find you interesting then you may get lucky

Haven't tried with a bear but thankfully I did it with some dogs!!! Thank God!!

I have out run a few dogs - and failed with a couple - depends on the type of dog
A greyhound type dog tried running after me a while ago and I just stopped - no way I can outrun that!
the look of disappointment on the dogs face was wonderful!

A Pekinese tried it once - left him in my dust!!

Seevio

Guru
In that situation I suspect that the bear wouldn't be the only one with an arboreal defecation practice.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I have out run a few dogs - and failed with a couple - depends on the type of dog
A greyhound type dog tried running after me a while ago and I just stopped - no way I can outrun that!
the look of disappointment on the dogs face was wonderful!

A Pekinese tried it once - left him in my dust!!

There uses to be an Alsatian on Birtles Hill (out near Chelford) - the house had a large garden that wasn't gated at the end - I've never gone so fast in a 39 x 19 ever. My mate panicked and stopped. :crazy:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I think the only relevant question is whether the bear is on the latest aero-optimised, 19.3%-stiffer-yet-22.3%-more-complaint-than-last-year's-model must-have wonder bike..

• Laugh
Reactions: C R

Gillstay

Über Member
I had a problem with a bear near Banff in Canada and part of the advice was to climb a tree. I was young and very fit. The trees were awful.
No hand holds, straight stems and very spikey. A bear could climb them very quickly. I could not even do it slowly.

gcogger

I had a problem with a bear near Banff in Canada and part of the advice was to climb a tree. I was young and very fit. The trees were awful.
No hand holds, straight stems and very spikey. A bear could climb them very quickly. I could not even do it slowly.

The only time I saw that advice in Canada was:

Q: How do you tell if it's a black bear or a grizzly bear?
A: Climb a tree. If it's a black bear, it'll follow you up into the tree. If it's a grizzly, it'll push the tree over.
^_^

Top Bottom