council are increasing my commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
For 5 weeks at end of October the council are shutting a section of country lane near me which is a vital part of my commute. ...They have categorically stated it will be shut to all traffic including bikes and pedestrians

At the moment it has temporary traffic lights about a third of a mile long with a temporary 30 limit on it, which is great fun as it makes a cracking sprint section to my commute keeping up with the flow of cars! but they are shutting it completely soon.

The shortest alternative route is 3 miles more.... Mrs V said I thought you'd be happy doing more miles..... I said it would have been fantastic if they had done it June/July... but November?.......

The quickest route by car now is nearer 15 miles as over half of the route I'd take by bike (10 miles) is a 30 limit whereas the 15 mile Route is almost all 60.....

I'll just man up and get on with it on a plus side half of new route is lit whereas non of current route is.... so silver linings etc......

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
It's very unusual these days to completely close a road to everyone including pedestrians, especially with such a long diversion.

The Code of Practice on Safety at Street Works (which they are required by law to obey) says:

"Traffic control by road closure

In certain cases the location or nature of the works being undertaken will make it impossible to achieve a safe working area and maintain traffic or pedestrian flows around the works. In these cases a carriageway, footway or footpath closure will be required. This option can only be considered if there is a suitable diversion route for the affected traffic or pedestrians, and under no circumstances should pedestrian access be denied to any property or premises.

A risk assessment must be carried out on any diversion route to ensure it is suitable and safe for the
diverted traffic or pedestrians."

So if you want to challenge whether they've acted appropriately, you could contact the local council and request the risk assessment of the diversion route.

OP
OP
simon the viking
To be fair the two other routes are more major roads the route I use is a very narrow country lane route. I bet I could try to challenge it but to be honest the increase in mileage will do me good as I'm a bit down on distance this year

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
September would have been better. Its been the best cycling month of the year.

As solice just think of those poor souls who will be out there digging the roads up in November.

Lonestar

Veteran
Well they have shut my beloved Tower Bridge for three months from today.Alternative routes are not as fast.

tatr

I wish they'd put info about pedestrian and cyclist accessibility on road closed signs.

I came across one in Wales and spent 10 or 15 minutes cycling (downhill!) towards it not sure if I would be able to get past and if I should have been looking for a detour already.

Fortunately it was open for cyclists after all, as spending an hour clawing back up the hill after ignoring the sign would have been bloody annoying.

Brains

Legendary Member
Well they have shut my beloved Tower Bridge for three months from today.Alternative routes are not as fast.

Massive diversion would be more accurate.
I come from the east and work in the East, so the bridge is the western extremity of my commute.
Going over Southwark as suggested would add 20 mins to my commute.

Anyone every cycled through Rotherhithe ?
I know it's legal, but is it practical ?

Top Bottom