council are increasing my commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lonestar

Veteran
Massive diversion would be more accurate.
I come from the east and work in the East, so the bridge is the western extremity of my commute.
Going over Southwark as suggested would add 20 mins to my commute.

Anyone every cycled through Rotherhithe ?
I know it's legal, but is it practical ?

Can't remember doing that....You must go left from Tower Bridge,then? I don't always use Tower Bridge anyway as I have alternative routes and technically Tower Bridge is the first of about 7 I can use..

Brains

Legendary Member
Can't remember doing that....You must go left from Tower Bridge,then? I don't always use Tower Bridge anyway as I have alternative routes and technically Tower Bridge is the first of about 7 I can use..

My options are

Tower Bridge
Closed to all traffic including cyclist until 2017

The Greenwich foot tunnel
Slowest/longest option, but most scenic and pleasant. But I wont use it if the lifts are not operational which is typically a few days a month. Also if I'm running late, it adds about 1 mile in distance but 15 minutes to my time

The Rotherhithe Tunnel
Never dared to try it.
I believe it may be the worlds oldest subsea traffic tunnel still in daily use
It's the size of a Cornish lane with as many twists and turns and has a never ending stream of traffic.
It was designed for horse and carts so has a fairly shallow incline and it's legal to cycle and walk through
I would have thought balls of steel with a gas mask were minimum requirements

Lonestar

Veteran
Where have you got to get to then? If it's twenty minutes extra to use other bridges,I extend mine by probably ten minutes on the early morning commutes and it isn't that bad...isn't London Bridge any good and then cut left? That links up with the back of Tower Bridge,although I did that many years ago as I have many different variation to my commute.

tatr

I had forgotten the speed limit is only 20mph in the rotherhithe tunnel.

If you take the whole lane and keep up with traffic it probably isn't that bad.

Being overtaken in the tunnel would be no fun at all.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I had forgotten the speed limit is only 20mph in the rotherhithe tunnel.

If you take the whole lane and keep up with traffic it probably isn't that bad.

Being overtaken in the tunnel would be no fun at all.
I think it's also all no-overtaking (because of the sharp bends at each end to stop horses being spooked by seeing the light at the end of the tunnel) so as long as you stay above 10mph, no-one should overtake... but most of the few who do ride through (mis)use the near-deserted footway - one side of which probably should be redesignated as a cycle track and then that would just leave the filthy pollution.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Went over Tower Bridge today
Open to cyclists, as long as they walk
(it's less than 10 mins end to end)
Anyone know why TfL haven't put the required "Cyclists dismount and use footway" sign up? And are pedestrian flows really too high to designate one side as a temporary cycle track?

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
Don't worry about extra mileage and crap weather. Haven't you heard? November is the new September. You can look forward to temperatures over 10°, and only a 5% chance of rain. Guaranteed, or my username isn't BackPlanther!

Top Bottom