Counting the miles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Does anyone add the milage to there tickers after they have been on the rollers or turbo trainers, i have never added them before, but at the end of the day it's still miles on your bike, should i or should i not.^_^

potsy

Rambler
Noooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!

I do, but I don't belong to a cycling log per se, I keep my own diary and mileage.

It's a funny old thing though because since I've worked out more on the turbo I naturally do less miles but they're a damn sight harder than miles out on the road IMO. Not being as interesting as a real ride you do more, quicker at a higher intensity naturally and especially when, as in my case, you create that intensity deliberately with intervals etc.

My own mileage this year is around 6,250 miles and only about 200 of those are on the turbo but I still count them.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Surely miles clocked up on anything that requires peddling are miles cycled! Like i said on a previous thread, my mum has done thousands on her exercise bike but hasn't cycled on a road since she was a girl!

potsy

Rambler
Would you count jogging on the spot as miles run? :whistle:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Surely miles clocked up on anything that requires peddling are miles cycled! Like i said on a previous thread, my mum has done thousands on her exercise bike but hasn't cycled on a road since she was a girl!
I can set the resistance on my gym bike so low that it hardly takes any effort to pedal. If I whack it up to full resistance, I can hardly get the pedals to move, even when I stand up, and I am a big lad!

A 'mile' on low resistance might be equivalent to 0.1 flat road miles. A 'mile' on high resistance might be like riding 100 hilly miles.

So ... while time spent on an indoor bike can work wonders for your fitness, you can't really say how many miles that time is equivalent to.

Top Bottom