Countryside commute

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Ah yes, the flooding! (reading an earlier thread)
After heavy rain I have two floods to negotiate, the worst being over 50 yards long and it gets deep enough to go over my shoes. There are also two very large wheel snagging potholes hidden in there that I can never quite remember where the location of. Couple of deep breaths, and telling myself that it's better than the A-roads get me though OK. So far...

ushills

Veteran
How do you find the "gravel" in the middle of the road?

I am concerned about p********* from this.

My guess the farm traffic would get used to see the same people after a while it would probably be the first few weeks / months of being extra aware.

Gravel can be a bit slippy, I generally stick to the left or right of centre depending on road conditions, doubt you would puncture from gravel but thorns can be an issue come hedge-trimming time.

From personal experience avoid surface water like the plague as it generally hide a bloody big pothole and an endo onto your face is not good.

One advantage with lanes like this is you can hear cars from 100m+ away therefore prepare to move out of the way, I actually prefer cycling in the dark as drivers and me are more visable due to lights.

OP
OP
Peteaud

Peteaud

Veteran
UPDATE

Well ive taken the job :-)

It means i will no longer have a 70 mile round trip to work every day.

I went out on Sat morning and using a little shortcut did door to door in just over 5 miles.

So need to get some lights, mudguards and maybe some tyres for the bike.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I have a similar section of commute , as long as you have an alternative route if its too dicey and carry the appropiate tools /clothing /lights etc i cannot see it being a problem

OP
OP
Peteaud

Peteaud

Veteran
I have a similar section of commute , as long as you have an alternative route if its too dicey and carry the appropiate tools /clothing /lights etc i cannot see it being a problem

The "bad bit" is about 1/2 mile on a b road and then about 1 mile on the little single track lane. There is really no alternative as the other route is a rat run.

There are quite a few field entrances to pull into and its so narrow and twisty car dont use it that much.

Most parts of the route a pretty rural but i am going to have get used to it.

Its an early start (6am) soshould be quite as well.

Will be an experience.

7638356626_7e8849a224_z.jpg

Note the horse shoot, gravel and overgrown edges.

7638362272_c4effbb05d_z.jpg

Tight corners

Top Bottom