Couple of things I've noticed about the TDF

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I don't really watch much cycling on TV, in fact I don't watch much TV, so these might be obvious to some of you, but a couple of things I noticed/thought about today.
1 - You never see the pros on the tour spitting out flies :blush: Do they just man up & eat them, are there no flies in France, or is there some other explanation?
2 - Why do some riders not wear mitts on a TT stage?

Sharky

Guru
1 ??????
2 more aero?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Oddly enough one of the bits of internet crap I've glanced at during the tour, probably on Twitter, was a rider going on about the number of flies he'd swallowed. I'll see if I can find it, but I'm doubtful.

OP
OP
Soltydog

Soltydog

Legendary Member
1 ??????
2 more aero?
Surely it's only the back of the mitts that affect the aero gain/loss which would be minimal?

Oddly enough one of the bits of internet crap I've glanced at during the tour, probably on Twitter, was a rider going on about the number of flies he'd swallowed. I'll see if I can find it, but I'm doubtful.
On my ride today, if i'd swallowed, the weight gain due to flies would seriously affect performance, but I'm a spitter anyway :laugh:

there no flies in France
This^^^ (at the time they're riding)

or is there some other explanation
they probably keep their mouths shut (with the possible exception of Voeckler who probably sucks in all the flies for miles around so nobody else gets them!!!!!!!!!!!)

Why do some riders not wear mitts on a TT stage
Yesterday was only 17km. Hardly worth the effort. Would you?

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Tom Dumoulin was sporting a natty pair of thin marigolds yesterday in the interests of aerodynamics, and some very long latex socks.

OP
OP
Soltydog

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Yesterday was only 17km. Hardly worth the effort. Would you?

I would indeed. The only time I don't wear mitts is when I'm popping to local which is about a mile, but if I go to the shops, about 3 miles I will wear mitts :smile:

Wester

Guru
Something else strange that i have noticed about this years TDF on television . in past tours Dave Brailsford was always on giving interviews now there is no sight of him ?

Top Bottom