Court result after HGV close pass

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Arjimlad

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Co-incidentally, my wife overheard a local driver on Friday whining about getting filmed overtaking a cyclist too close and having to pay £165 to go on a driving course as she already had six points for speeding.

Not her fault there was an oncoming car, apparently. Hope she learns something on the course!

This was one I'd reported on 4th February for a very dangerous overtake in the face of an oncoming Mitsubishi Shogun. I wonder how she'd have felt if she'd killed the father of one of her daughter's classmates?

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
How does one report this sort of incident? Is it done online?

Co-incidentally, my wife overheard a local driver on Friday whining about getting filmed overtaking a cyclist too close and having to pay £165 to go on a driving course as she already had six points for speeding.

Not her fault there was an oncoming car, apparently. Hope she learns something on the course!

This was one I'd reported on 4th February for a very dangerous overtake in the face of an oncoming Mitsubishi Shogun. I wonder how she'd have felt if she'd killed the father of one of her daughter's classmates?
Several years ago I had a car written off by a skip lorry that came flying around a corner not realising that the traffic had stopped because of traffic lights and roadworks ( crap in his eyes). As he brakedhe skewed across the road with me coming the other way. I took avoiding action and drove up the bank/verge. I had to go to hospital for lacerations from the broken glass and weeks later I suffered from whiplash injuries ( they did not occur right away). When I phone my insurers to report the accident the skip driver had not even phoned his, he was too busy. I was asked by the police if I wanted to prosecute but was advised by them just to let the driver go on a driver awareness course so this is what I did. I had to phone the driver about his insurance and he whinged to me about having to go on this course and how much it would cost and the money he would loose by not working that 1/2 day. Full of self importance he was. I would`nt do it again, let him take the points and the fine I say.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member

She didn't 'have to' go on the speed awareness course as she claimed, she could have opted to contest the matter in court, or plead guilty by post and accept the fixed penalty and points.

She opted for the awareness course because it was the best option for her, particularly in light of already having a few points.

Which makes her, as you say, a selfish whining twat.

Just like the lorry driver in @Shearwater Missile's post.

He was fortunate to have the opportunity to get out from under a motoring prosecution, but still moaned about his treatment.

Which makes him another selfish whining twat.

I would probably have taken the same course in their situations.

But I would at least be savvy and gracious enough to accept I'd had a good result.

OP
OP
Arjimlad

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Several years ago I had a car written off by a skip lorry that came flying around a corner not realising that the traffic had stopped because of traffic lights and roadworks ( crap in his eyes). As he brakedhe skewed across the road with me coming the other way. I took avoiding action and drove up the bank/verge. I had to go to hospital for lacerations from the broken glass and weeks later I suffered from whiplash injuries ( they did not occur right away). When I phone my insurers to report the accident the skip driver had not even phoned his, he was too busy. I was asked by the police if I wanted to prosecute but was advised by them just to let the driver go on a driver awareness course so this is what I did. I had to phone the driver about his insurance and he whinged to me about having to go on this course and how much it would cost and the money he would loose by not working that 1/2 day. Full of self importance he was. I would`nt do it again, let him take the points and the fine I say.

Agree - but when I file a report of a close pass or dangerous overtake, the Police say I am only a witness & not a victim, therefore they will not update me on any outcomes. I don't get any more information unless the matter ends up in court & I'm called as a witness. The exception to this is Mondays' case where I think they must have classed me as a victim because of the dangerous deliberate motorised bullying involved.

@EltonFrog I upload footage online to a special portal run by Avon & Somerset police. Not sure what might be available in your area though. It doesn't take very long to do. This one appears to cover Oxfordshire https://www.thamesvalley.police.uk/ro/report/rti/rti-b/report-a-road-traffic-incident/

Last edited:
Agree - but when I file a report of a close pass or dangerous overtake, the Police say I am only a witness & not a victim, therefore they will not update me on any outcomes. I don't get any more information unless the matter ends up in court & I'm called as a witness. The exception to this is Mondays' case where I think they must have classed me as a victim because of the dangerous deliberate motorised bullying involved.

@EltonFrog I upload footage online to a special portal run by Avon & Somerset police. Not sure what might be available in your area though. It doesn't take very long to do.
When I was asked by the Police what I wanted to do it was when I was in the A&E dept whilst still in a state of shock. I was not updated by the police it was the third party who told me about that he had to do the course. That was July 2002

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
How does one report this sort of incident? Is it done online?
As @Arjimlad suggested, check your local police force's web site. It seems to vary from force to force; some have no portal, others appear to use a national portal, whilst others have their own.
The important thing, assuming you have access to a reporting site, is to get any incident reported ASAP. The police have a very limited time to act and some, (I'm looking at you Cheshire and Greater Manchester police), don't seem to act on reports during the weekend. So unless they are lucky, reports made (say) Thursday or Friday will get not get anything other than automated response until at least the following Monday or Tuesday.

Top Bottom