Coventry Blitz

• Thread starter Deleted member 1258
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alicat

Legendary Member
Hugs to all Coventry folk. They might have destroyed the fabric of that fine medieval city but they didn't destroy the spirit of its people.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Our neighbours in Coventry told us of watching the raid from Coundon. It is about 3 km NW of the city centre, and 40 m higher so they got a scarily good view of what was unfolding...

My dad's older sister and mum were working in Coventry at that time. He joined the Royal Engineers shortly after the raid on the city and worked in bomb disposal in GB until D-Day.

There are just a few of the old medieval buildings left in the city centre.

Chris S

Legendary Member
"The Luftwaffe planned to attack on the next full moon – November 14th. British Intelligence knew a raid was planned to take place – but did not know where."

I seem to remember something on TV about the British Government knowing that Coventry was going to be attacked but kept quiet about it because they didn't want the Germans to know that their codes had been hacked.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
"The Luftwaffe planned to attack on the next full moon – November 14th. British Intelligence knew a raid was planned to take place – but did not know where."

I seem to remember something on TV about the British Government knowing that Coventry was going to be attacked but kept quiet about it because they didn't want the Germans to know that their codes had been hacked.

It's sometimes claimed, but I would very much doubt it. The whole point of cracking the codes is to guide major decisions. A big attack on a major manufacturing city vital to the war effort would not be something you'd let slide in case the enemy suspected you had prior warning - it would make no sense to do that.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 1258

Yes, I remember reading about that, whether its true or not I've no idea.

VelvetUnderpants

Über Member
My grandmother was living in the village of Swinford at the time of the blitz and told my father many years later that the night sky from the direction of Coventry was glowing orange. It must have been a horrendous experience for those who lived in Coventry at the time.

Drago

Legendary Member
Mrs D is a Cov lass. Some yeears ago I got chatting to an old boy in Northampton. He could remember the first night when the bombers flew over Northampton en route to Cov. It took 45 minutes for them to all go by, thats how many there were.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"

A friend's mother worked at Bletcheley Park. She was wracked with guilt for years after the war as they worked out the target too late to give an effective warning.

stephec

Legendary Member
Just had this post pop up on Facebook.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Mrs D is a Cov lass. Some yeears ago I got chatting to an old boy in Northampton. He could remember the first night when the bombers flew over Northampton en route to Cov. It took 45 minutes for them to all go by, thats how many there were.

Bloody M1 is always busy :sad:

On a serious note my Parents were 5 and 11 and have some memory of it all which they talk about at times

I read this book about it earlier in the year and that was bad enough https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/26521465-coventry-s-blitz

Top Bottom