Coventry Sportive Charity Ride

• Thread starter Deleted member 1258
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

Organised by my club, Coventry Road Club, with Guy Salmon jaguar, February 2nd 2014 starting from the Guy Salmon garage on the A45 Coventry. Sign on from 9:00am first group off 9:30, fee £5, choice of 2 routes,
The long route is here http://ridewithgps.com/routes/3857749
The short route is here http://ridewithgps.com/routes/3870946

https://www.facebook.com/events/189...join&ref_newsfeed_story_type=regular&source=1

I did last years event on my fixed, the long route, and it was a good day. rolling Warwickshire country side, lovely lanes, a well run well supported event.

http://www.sytner.co.uk/guy-salmon-...almon-jaguar-coventry-cycling-event-2014.aspx

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris Swift

Minght join up if I'm free that SundaySunday

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 1258

It was a well run well organised, well supported ride raising funds for the air ambalence, it was a shame I had an off day, nothing in the legs, they had over 350 riders out, far more than they were expecting. I met totallyfixed and Dr Pink at the HQ and we were going to ride together but a mix up at the start separated us, they caught me at Snitterfield but by then what legs I had were fading fast so I let them go past, we met again at Wooten Wowen, they had been off course, but by then the legs were gone so I just let them go past. It was a great day for cycling, bright, breezy and a little cool, the course was good, but unfortunately I hadn't got the legs,I've been very busy at work and at home and hadn't done any training this winter, I got round but about half an hour slower than last year and it was hard work

Last edited by a moderator:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It was a well run well organised, well supported ride raising funds for the air ambalence, it was a shame I had an off day, nothing in the legs, they had over 350 riders out, far more than they were expecting. I met totallyfixed and Dr Pink at the HQ and we were going to ride together but a mix up at the start separated us, they caught me at Snitterfield but by then what legs I had were fading fast so I let them go past, we met again at Wooten Wowen, they had been off course, but by then the legs were gone so I just let them go past. It was a great day for cycling, bright, breezy and a little cool, the course was good, but unfortunately I hadn't got the legs,I've been very busy at work and at home and hadn't done any training this winter, I got round but about half an hour slower than last year and it was hard work
I must remember to tease totallyfixed about his magic sense of direction ...! :thumbsup::whistle:

We all have off days, Dave, and it sounds like you have been tiring yourself out doing non-cycling stuff.

Over 350 - that's a good turn-out!

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 1258

I must remember to tease totallyfixed about his magic sense of direction ...! :thumbsup::whistle:

We all have off days, Dave, and it sounds like you have been tiring yourself out doing non-cycling stuff.

Over 350 - that's a good turn-out!

It wasn't his fault, he was in a group that was following someone's Garmin, in fact I think there were several Garmins in the group and they were all wrong.

I took the job I'm doing as it was the only one I could get when I was made redundant, but it can get bonkers busy sometimes, we've just had the normal mad month end Friday, we should have finished at 12:30 but got out at 5:45, unfortunately I've got less than 3 years left to work so my chances of jumping ship and going elsewhere are slim.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It wasn't his fault, he was in a group that was following someone's Garmin, in fact I think there were several Garmins in the group and they were all wrong.
When I use my Garmin GPS for someone else's ride, I doublecheck the routesheet/map against both my OS map AND Google maps/Street View, and then replot the route myself to make sure that there are no errors.

GPS itself is not going to be wrong - if your device can 'see' at least 4 of the 24 satellites then it will be accurate to about 10-15 metres which is accurate enough to pick out the right roads and turns in nearly every case, and on the very rare occasion when 2 junctions are closer than 15 metres apart, it is soon obvious if you take the wrong one.

When I use my Garmin GPS for someone else's ride, I doublecheck the routesheet/map against both my OS map AND Google maps/Street View, and then replot the route myself to make sure that there are no errors.

GPS itself is not going to be wrong - if your device can 'see' at least 4 of the 24 satellites then it will be accurate to about 10-15 metres which is accurate enough to pick out the right roads and turns in nearly every case, and on the very rare occasion when 2 junctions are closer than 15 metres apart, it is soon obvious if you take the wrong one.
No doubt in theory what you say is correct Colin, but once again we followed a group who had Garmin [several] and once again they stopped at junctions that were not marked to have a discussion as to which way to go, eventually choosing the wrong one. Quite funny really, but would have been funnier if we didn't redo a hilly section we did on the way out. Eventually we got back on route and passed the same people we had overtaken earlier.
Well done Dave, out of 350 there were only 5 on fixed. Have to object to it being called a sportive though, £5 to enter, all money to the Air Ambulance [which we support], no timings or results, riders pointed out potholes and in general riding etiquette was excellent, I think due to it being mainly club riders. Only saw one person in shorts as you would expect with club cyclists at this time of year. A good ride, we hammered round fairly hard though found ourselves being dropped on the long downhills which meant we had to work harder on the uphills, one of which nearly did me. Not fit yet.

dr_pink

No doubt in theory what you say is correct Colin, but once again we followed a group who had Garmin [several] and once again they stopped at junctions that were not marked to have a discussion as to which way to go, eventually choosing the wrong one. Quite funny really, but would have been funnier if we didn't redo a hilly section we did on the way out. Eventually we got back on route and passed the same people we had overtaken earlier.
The funniest part was that no one's garmins seemed to be able to help get back on track when lost. At that point I got out the paper route map, checked where we were on google maps on the iPhone and a local rider knew what village name to look out for and we were able to find our way back to the route.

This 'diversion' cost us a cake - there were none left when we got back! On the plus side we met & rode with some really nice people (& we got to ride with Dave twice!!)

A really nice event, nice 'hq' with proper clean toilets!! & a great charity to support too

James Ots

It was a well run well organised, well supported ride raising funds for the air ambalence, they had over 350 riders out, far more than they were expecting.

I wish I'd spotted this thread before today, when I saw lots of cyclists at the Jaguar showroom and out on the roads as I drove the family out to Packwood House for lunch, and was really wishing I was on my bike too! (Especially since I've been ill for a few days, and itching to get back on my bike anyway).

Top Bottom