Covered Decking/Patio areas

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
As the OP, does anyone have a covered deck or patio area that they can show me. I want to cover ours next year, but not sure what with and need some ideas??

whether its timber, Alloy with glass, fully covered and tiled......show me what you got

TIA

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Roll out Awning - we've a 3.5m x 2.5m awning (in cream) - works a treat keeping heat off, and also heat in when using a gas fire pit.

The bit to the right is the gazebo for the hot tub. Corrugated perspex roof.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Roll out Awning - we've a 3.5m x 2.5m awning (in cream) - works a treat keeping heat off, and also heat in when using a gas fire pit.

View attachment 608031

The bit to the right is the gazebo for the hot tub. Corrugated perspex roof.
yeh i got a roll out awning at the moment, but want something more permanent - its 4.25 x 4m.......so covers the whole deck

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
If you fancy doing it yourself, and it will match what you've done, timber frame and maybe the triple polycarbonate clear sheets - not cheap, but not as expensive as steel/alloy and glass, and DIY'able. We went corrugated roof for the hot tub due to the steam etc - if the polycarbonate degrades, it's easy off to replace, and has stood up to 2-3 winters of storms.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

If you fancy doing it yourself, and it will match what you've done, timber frame and maybe the triple polycarbonate clear sheets - not cheap, but not as expensive as steel/alloy and glass, and DIY'able. We went corrugated roof for the hot tub due to the steam etc - if the polycarbonate degrades, it's easy off to replace, and has stood up to 2-3 winters of storms.
that is my think fossy tbh......ive priced the roof at around £250 with 10mm clear polycarb twinwall and an extra £100 for the glazing bars

it is my prefered option and then i can use 6x2s for the roof structure ( nice and chunky) and 6x6s for the posts.........it would still come out cheaper than an alloy one and i get the custom size......as 4.35x4.2mtrs is hard to find in alloy and glass

Then when i cover the 2nd deck which is 3.2mtrs x 2.8mtrs it will be easier to tie it in and look good

OP
OP
J

jowwy

The Mrs wants this one, it doesnt cover the full area in depth ( but just found out i can only go a max of 3mtrs out from property with a veranda)

so its covers the full width of the deck, so both patio doors and back door will be covered and will give us a nice permanent cover. Cost is ok too, so i think im happy

unless people got other ideas i can look at

1631012020519.png

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
I was thinking of something to cover ours but permanent is no good as need access to paint windows etc. Currently using a sail. Not in picture

OP
OP
J

jowwy

I was thinking of something to cover ours but permanent is no good as need access to paint windows etc. Currently using a sail. Not in picture
View attachment 608054
why would permanent stop access to painting the windows??? or are you talking upstairs windows??

T4tomo

Legendary Member
a roll out is the way to go, then it can go away when you don't want it.

what happens to that one shown in #6 when it gets 3 foot of snow on it? correct it collapses under the weight....

MrGrumpy

Huge Member

what happens to that one shown in #6 when it gets 3 foot of snow on it? correct it collapses under the weight....
Yes if I put something up it would need to move away out the road.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

it takes 120kg per square foot of weight and its also sloped down upto 17 degrees...........so no collapse under weight

also when was the last time we saw 3ft of snow???

also did you miss the part were i already stated i have a roll out and want something more permanent

also i have never heard of carports collapsing under snow all over the country in my 45yrs of living, so why would a structure covering the decking collapse based on the same premise of a car port???

Top Bottom