Covered Decking/Patio areas

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
As the OP, does anyone have a covered deck or patio area that they can show me. I want to cover ours next year, but not sure what with and need some ideas??

whether its timber, Alloy with glass, fully covered and tiled......show me what you got

TIA
Ah, me too. Im hoping to have finished demolishing my sheety conservatory this year, and next spring brings some decking and a canopy or awning.

I saw an advert for one of those things with a Rolls Royce perched upon it, so I think they can handle the weight.

Mr Celine

Discordian
it takes 120kg per square foot of weight and its also sloped down upto 17 degrees...........so no collapse under weight

also when was the last time we saw 3ft of snow???

also did you miss the part were i already stated i have a roll out and want something more permanent

also i have never heard of carports collapsing under snow all over the country in my 45yrs of living, so why would a structure covering the decking collapse based on the same premise of a car port???
2010? (twice up here, in January and late November.)
Several local barns collapsed.

Tesco's in Scunthorpe, December 2010
https://www.constructionenquirer.com/2010/12/05/tesco-roof-collapses-under-weight-of-snow/

T4tomo

Legendary Member
2010? (twice up here, in January and late November.)
Several local barns collapsed.

Tesco's in Scunthorpe, December 2010
https://www.constructionenquirer.com/2010/12/05/tesco-roof-collapses-under-weight-of-snow/
Plus if the snow slides off the house roof onto your patio roof (which in that example picture, which looks dead flat not 17^ slope btw, is a real risk) you'd have quite a weight on there.

also did you miss the part were i already stated i have a roll out and want something more permanent
This is cyclechat - OP opinions are there to be ignored as the collective knowledge of respondents is vastly superior:okay:^_^

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Sadly we have a North facing garden, but we can grow fantastic algae/ moss!

If you need to prevent snow being dumped off the house roof [if it's slate or flat tiles at 30 degrees or steeper] onto conservatory/ deck roofs I'd recommend snow guard boards screwed to the rafter feet- holds back thawing snow on south facing slopes.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Plus if the snow slides off the house roof onto your patio roof (which in that example picture, which looks dead flat not 17^ slope btw, is a real risk) you'd have quite a weight on there.

This is cyclechat - OP opinions are there to be ignored as the collective knowledge of respondents is vastly superior:okay:^_^
Yadda yadda yadda……….its not flat, its just the angle of the photo.

best eveyone go take down their conservatories and orangeries all over the world then, just i case the snow comes and collapses them all…….🤡🤡🤡

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Yadda yadda yadda……….its not flat, its just the angle of the photo.

best eveyone go take down their conservatories and orangeries all over the world then, just i case the snow comes and collapses them all…….🤡🤡🤡
Sigh... They have sloping roofs for that very reason, and I said it "looks" flat in the photo.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Sigh... They have sloping roofs for that very reason, and I said it "looks" flat in the photo.
But its not flat, which i have already told you on two seperate occassions…..and why dont flat roof extensions collapse under snow load then??? Answer, because they are structured not too

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
20210909_193838.jpg

20210909_193813.jpg

Our car port. Looks much nicer when there isn't a bloomin huge car in it. Lovely sitting out of an evening with a glass of wine, especially if it's raining.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

View attachment 608403

View attachment 608404

Our car port. Looks much nicer when there isn't a bloomin huge car in it. Lovely sitting out of an evening with a glass of wine, especially if it's raining.
And has it ever collapsed under the 3ft of snow load we get every year????

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Well i have managed to convince the other half to build our own out of timber, to match the rest of the structures i have built......so next spring the project will start to take place....

It will be made with 6x2s and a 10mm polycarb twin wall roof....

OP
OP
J

jowwy

So an update on this project.......i will be removing the roll out awning over the xmas period, which will then leave 4 brackets screwed and chemically fixed into the wall. The connectors are for the box section of the awning which measures 33m on the calipers.

1640170897576.png

so rather than try and remove and put up a wall plate...i have ordered a 4mtr length of box section steal at 31.7mm to fit into the connectors and i will tighten them around the steel to form the face plate.....

1640170977275.png

from here i will sit 6x2s on top of the steal and then drill holes into the underneath of the box section up into the timbers and use 8mm x 80mm timber screw to form the connection to the steel...

they will protrude out from the will to a length of 4 mtrs to meet up with a goalpost structure made from 4x4 posts and 6x2 timbers, bolted to the deck underneath and into strengthening purlins under the deck structure for added strength.

This will then be covered in 700 x 4mtr lengths of Poly carb at 10mm and bronze coloured to aid with shading the deck from the strongish sun in the summer

Top Bottom