COVID-19 STOPPED PLAY! [FLAT imperial century (metric century option) from Garforth, Saturday 28th March 2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Sorry - I am bowing to the inevitable... POSTPONED due to that nasty virus! If the situation improves enough we can run it later in the year. If not, see you this time NEXT year!

Don't think there will be many 'official' cycling group rides for quite a while now :sad: I was really looking forward to this, but understand the reasons why. Hopefully I can make the rescheduled date or next years ride :okay:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Don't think there will be many 'official' cycling group rides for quite a while now :sad:
Unfortunately, that is true.

It is going to be a very difficult year for many people.
I was really looking forward to this
Me too, but all the indications are that we are only about 2-3 weeks behind Italy so things will probably be getting pretty grim by the end of the month. Best to do the sensible thing - see this Cycling UK article.

Hopefully I can make the rescheduled date or next years ride
Fingers crossed!

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Me too, but all the indications are that we are only about 2-3 weeks behind Italy so things will probably be getting pretty grim by the end of the month. Best to do the sensible thing - see this Cycling UK article.

I read the article earlier & I'm happy to ride solo for a while (I normally do anyway :okay:) I'm sure things will get worse before they get any better, but would hate to not be able to cycle outside at all :sad:
The latest advice is great, don't go to pubs etc etc , if I'm going to local, it's usually late evening after they've finished serving food & there's normally 5 or 6 of us in there, but that's to be avoided, yet I'm ok to go to work & drive trains at rush hour, carrying 100s of passengers :wacko:
Surely cycling in small groups has got to be very low risk, especially for a 'young' healthy person like me :laugh:
Fingers crossed all this passes soon, but we'll see 🤔

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

yet I'm ok to go to work & drive trains at rush hour, carrying 100s of passengers
I had someone say a very similar thing to me earlier...

Obviously there are a lot of people who we can't afford to let stop working - doctors, nurses, police, people in the food supply chain and so on, but you can see the idea of reducing contacts as much as possible!

There was footage of some very empty commuter trains on the news this evening!

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Well if it's any consolation Colin, not sure if I would have fancied 100 miles in that wind today anyway. Went out for 12 miles & the wind was brutal on some exposed stretches :sad: Hope you are all keeping safe & well :okay:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

That's good to know! :laugh:

It has been sunny here for the past 8 days but it has gone grey and chilly here today. It would have been great to have done a century ride earlier in the week.

I have only done a few shortish rides on my singlespeed bike and would like to do more but there is the discussion going on at the moment about what we can do and what we should doing on our bikes... :whistle:

I have decided that if a longer ride is possible I will probably warm up on the turbo trainer (to save precious outdoor riding time!) and then grovel up nearby steep Cross Stone Road (which the Tour de Yorkshire had been set to tackle this year). That means I would only be riding in the town itself for about 15 minutes before getting out of it up onto the hillside above. Another 15-20 minutes would get me up to Eastwood Rd. From there I can do a nice 7 km loop up to Kebs Rd, down to Blackshaw Head, and back round to my starting point via Great Rock. Apart from a minute or two passing through BH village I would be on very quiet rural lanes for most of each loop. If I could get away with that I could build long rides up from a number of loops. If the worst came to the worst, riding up there, doing just 2 loops and riding back down would take about an hour and would be an entertaining and tough little ride. There are other similar loops that I could do with an hour of riding. A quick rider could do the 20 mile Cragg Vale loop in an hour but it takes me nearer 90 minutes these days.

PS If the coronavirus restrictions are lifted before the end of September (which they surely must be?) I will reschedule this ride for the first free Saturday. Let's look forward to that, eh?

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I'm glad that there is in interest in this. Something to look forward to!

I can't edit the original post so I have started a new thread for this and will get a mod to move these new posts over for us. I will copy the original details into my first post of the new thread.

MODS - would you please move posts #39 to #49 to the new ride thread - thanks.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom