COVID-19 STOPPED PLAY! [FLAT imperial century (metric century option) from Garforth, Saturday 28th March 2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I need to get back on my bike - I have done very little cycling since the end of October!

Hopefully, it won't affect this ride but... I just heard a medical expert on the news say that it is expected that the rate of Corona virus infections in the UK will be ramping up rapidly and peaking about 2 weeks from now. All we can do is to keep an eye on things and see what the situation is at the end of the month. 🤞

Even if this ride goes ahead as planned, it looks like ones later in the year could well be affected.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I need to get back on my bike - I have done very little cycling since the end of October

At least you will have a good excuse for falling off the back of the ride.

"I'm self isolating."

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I'm still hoping to go ahead with this ride, but I'm afraid that a lot of the usual forum rides probably will not take place this year if/when the expected virus lock-down finally comes to the UK.

The situation is fast-changing so let's keep an eye on it. If we do plan to go ahead then I will contact the cafe at Cawood to check that they will still be open. IIRC though, there are not many alternatives out there if it isn't. I would be ok with carrying my own supplies and just finding a nice sheltered spot to stop somewhere as long as conditions were tolerable.

Anyway, being optimistic and assuming that the ride will go ahead... WHO IS STILL PLANNING TO JOIN ME?!

Buck

Guru
Hi Colin

Unfortunately I won’t be joining you. I’ve yet to get back on the bike post op so will hopefully join a ride later in the year when I’m fitter and also the Corona challenge is clearer.

I'm still hoping to go ahead with this ride, but I'm afraid that a lot of the usual forum rides probably will not take place this year if/when the expected virus lock-down finally comes to the UK.

The situation is fast-changing so let's keep an eye on it. If we do plan to go ahead then I will contact the cafe at Cawood to check that they will still be open. IIRC though, there are not many alternatives out there if it isn't. I would be ok with carrying my own supplies and just finding a nice sheltered spot to stop somewhere as long as conditions were tolerable.

Anyway, being optimistic and assuming that the ride will go ahead... WHO IS STILL PLANNING TO JOIN ME?!
Hi Colin
It seems official government 'advice' has just been announced by Johnson that we should all avoid social contact as the infections now start to massively increase -https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-51903319

So unfortunately (but totally understandable) I think that will now scupper any planned recreational group cycle rides for the foreseeable future. Since not owning or driving a car from when I retired 3 years ago and travelling a lot on trains I have been appalled at the sizeable minority of people who cough and splutter without using a tissue and I don't think these selfish idiots will suddenly develop a social conscience now that we have a virus pandemic to contend with.

I'm hoping the U.K government doesn't follow Spain and ban all outdoor cycling (including solo riding) but if it does my spin bike in the cellar will get a lot of use.

Domus

Guru
Still up for 100K, at my usual pace I will be off the back and therefore isolated. May use the car to avoid the great unwashed on the train. No not you Colin ^_^

Oldfentiger

Veteran
Hi Colin, my earlier optimism was misplaced. Still having cramp problems I’m afraid.
After nearly 2 years of tests and theories, there are a few positives though.
My spinal stenosis is not as bad as I was led to believe, and is not the cause of the problem.
My circulation is 100% and is not the cause of the problem.
Apart from slight arthritis my hips are fine and are not the cause of the problem.
Still don’t know what’s causing it, but I can only manage up to 25 miles at the moment.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Still up for 100K, at my usual pace I will be off the back and therefore isolated. May use the car to avoid the great unwashed on the train. No not you Colin ^_^
Unfortunately, it looks like we need a bigger distance than that! :whistle:

Hi Colin, my earlier optimism was misplaced. Still having cramp problems I’m afraid.
After nearly 2 years of tests and theories, there are a few positives though.
My spinal stenosis is not as bad as I was led to believe, and is not the cause of the problem.
My circulation is 100% and is not the cause of the problem.
Apart from slight arthritis my hips are fine and are not the cause of the problem.
Still don’t know what’s causing it, but I can only manage up to 25 miles at the moment.
Baffling, but least it isn't ALL bad news!

The good news is that you now have more time to build up to the ride because....

Sorry - I am bowing to the inevitable... POSTPONED due to that nasty virus! If the situation improves enough we can run it later in the year. If not, see you this time NEXT year!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom