Covid and performance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Well, some died, like Michael Antonelli and Cristopher Marsilla. :sad:

It didn't seem like a great year for Gaviria or Sagan, nor Matthews who had to withdraw from the 2020 Giro after catching it. I don't recall if others had to do similar in 2021. All three of them dropped down the UCI rankings.

Curiously, almost as many riders seem to be blaming vaccination side-effects (Fuglsang and Van Avermaet among them) as covid infection for their loss of form, at least in public.

Really, the best covid-related excuse would have been Elise Chabbey, who was working as a front line doctor during covid, but she had a pretty good year, ranking 19th in the Women's World Tour, although with the only win being the Tour of Britain's mountain classification.

OP
OP
M

Martinsnos

Well, some died, like Michael Antonelli and Cristopher Marsilla. :sad:

It didn't seem like a great year for Gaviria or Sagan, nor Matthews who had to withdraw from the 2020 Giro after catching it. I don't recall if others had to do similar in 2021. All three of them dropped down the UCI rankings.

Curiously, almost as many riders seem to be blaming vaccination side-effects (Fuglsang and Van Avermaet among them) as covid infection for their loss of form, at least in public.

Really, the best covid-related excuse would have been Elise Chabbey, who was working as a front line doctor during covid, but she had a pretty good year, ranking 19th in the Women's World Tour, although with the only win being the Tour of Britain's mountain classification.

Hi,
Very sorry to hear about the deaths. I have covid right now, which is what prompted me to ask the question. I’m double-jabbed and all should be fine but the way I’ve felt this last week, I can’t imagine what it must have been like for professional athletes and having to motivate themselves to get back training.
And, it sounds like, potentially it hasn’t been easy for them.
I guess only over the years to come will any longer effects be known, hopefully none.

I really appreciate your knowledgable and informative reply thank you.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's a lottery. You don't know if you'll get long covid. If you've been jabbed, you'll likely be less ill and not suffer the long term complications.

Have you been jabbed ? I've got two friends that caught covid without being jabbed. One was a year ago before the jabs, he's on oxygen 18 hours a day still. The other 'wasn't bothered' - been ill for months and is struggling for breath. He want's the jab now.

I'd expect you won't be 100% for a few weeks.

OP
OP
M

Martinsnos

It's a lottery. You don't know if you'll get long covid. If you've been jabbed, you'll likely be less ill and not suffer the long term complications.

Have you been jabbed ? I've got two friends that caught covid without being jabbed. One was a year ago before the jabs, he's on oxygen 18 hours a day still. The other 'wasn't bothered' - been ill for months and is struggling for breath. He want's the jab now.

I'd expect you won't be 100% for a few weeks.

Thanks to others for my hugs and thumbs!!!
Wouldn’t say it’s been fun but yes, double-jabbed and ‘expecting’ to make a full-recovery.
I am sorry about your friends and as much as the physical part of covid, actually having it and having what are (in comparison) fairly minor symptoms makes one realise more what some people have been through and that realisation is quite hard psychologically.
My experience is that I can feel that the virus is attacking every part of my body [could be just in the mind but I have that sense] and also, it is really easy to get a tightness in the chest and without calming one’s self down, I can imagine how easy it would be to go into more a panic stage and having difficulty breathing.
As we all know, it is not a pleasant virus [not sure if any are but you get my drift].

Cathryn

Legendary Member
[QUOTE="mjr, post:
[/QUOTE]

She also won a stage in the Tour de Suisse, I believe. And Chloe Hosking got Covid and was out of contention for over 4 months before winning a stage of the Tour of Norway!

I take pros quotes with a pinch of salt. We've all heard riders say they would have done better but they were battling flu mid stage race.

Hope all concerned recover well.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
[QUOTE="mjr, post:

She also won a stage in the Tour de Suisse, I believe.
[/QUOTE]
Apologies. The list I checked seems to have overwritten the stage 1 result with stage 2, which had the same start/finish town.

Top Bottom