Covid Jab and Loss of Fitness

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maherees

Über Member
Hi all,

For the 3rd week running I've had to bail out of our fast Friday road ride as I had absolutely nothing in the tank. A few months ago I was one of the fastest. I've not had Covid just the AstraZeneca jab 2 months ago but nowadays I seem to have lost so much fitness - is this in the mind or is something else going on.
Really annoying as i loved my Friday ride. used to feel really challenged.

Rocky

Hello decadence
Sorry to hear that. The Oxford jab can have side-effects, some serious (which have been reported) although of course the risk is no where near as bad as having full blown Covid. However, I suspect without a series of medical tests, it won't be easy to diagnose whether what you've got is physical or something else.

Have you tried a graded approach to getting back to full fitness. I'm not an expert (and am not medically qualified) but a common sense approach might to be to some sprints and up the pace a bit but not to the pace of your fast-Friday ride.

Hope you get your fitness back again soon.

dodgy

Easy to fall into confirmation bias about this kind of thing, though I appreciate you're frustrated. Vaccinations have been around for around a 1000 years.
Try resting and build up slowly.

Buck

Guru
I would suggest that you have a telephone consult with your GP with a view to getting a blood test.
There’s a myriad of potential reasons not linked to the vaccine such as less restful sleep, low iron levels, other vitamin deficiency infection not to mention, diet, stress etc.

It would be good to perhaps note how you feel when not on the bike I.e. do you feel tired or refreshed when you wake up; appetite changes and so on.

Hope you get some clarity and resolution.

Sharky

Guru
Group riding, could put you into stress and make you feel not as strong as earlier in the season, especially if your mates are trying to better you.

The only way of knowing if you are really going backwards is by keeping data, to compare against previous rides. Best if you have a well tried training loop and riding solo and comparing times. Or if you are rich, using a power metre.

OP
OP
Maherees

Maherees

Über Member
Thanks for the advice.
Strava data is backing this up so I know it's a measurable thing. After the first jab my blood pressure rose to levels that I had to go on medication for the first time.
Just going to gently build up again on my own.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
For the first few weeks after mine I pretty much couldn't ride, not fully back yet either and my second dose is tomorrow :ohmy:

Top Bottom