Cowes Floating Bridge to close...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
.... always a highlight of a round the island (Isle of Wight) ride.

A launch for pedestrians and vehicles to divert via Newport until March. Will bikes be classed as vehicles?

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Not a permanent closure then?

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
It's being refurbished (new boat) as far as I understand.
A new boat costing several millions of IoW pounds. I'm intrigued that, and as to why, the new boat doesn't immediately replace the old one...

The temporary launch will take bikes I'm told.

Never been across it, but did come close to being run down by it in a Wayfarer dinghy in my youth when me and a few mates took a couple there from the Hamble during Cowes week. Finding yourself going the opposite way through the middle of a race fleet was interesting too.

Tim Hall

Bigger boat, I believe, so new and bigger chains. Plus other civils works.

<parochial>hopefully it will be completed quicker than the replacement bridge at Flanchford. SCC are taking 9 months to cross the Mole. Caesar crossed The Rhine in 10 days. </parochial>

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Bigger boat, I believe, so new and bigger chains. Plus other civils works.
June this year...

upload_2017-1-2_14-47-2.png

67.jpg

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
<parochial>hopefully it will be completed quicker than the replacement bridge at Flanchford. SCC are taking 9 months to cross the Mole. Caesar crossed The Rhine in 10 days. </parochial>
Caesar's motivations were, no doubt, somewhat different..... ;)

I had to do a lot of last minute re-routing for last year's Shoreham ride because of that bridge being shut. Hopefully it won't be delayed.

Top Bottom