Cracks on carbon forks. Advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Pretty sure it's just paint cracks.

If it were mine I would get it in the easiest gear and try to ride the bike against a wall or solid object while someone had a good look at the cracks (or get someone on the bike while you look). If the cracks move or open when under this force you have a problem. If the forks just flex normally and there is no creaking/groaning or cracking sounds then happy days :okay:

MntnMan62

Über Member
Pretty sure it's just paint cracks.

If it were mine I would get it in the easiest gear and try to ride the bike against a wall or solid object while someone had a good look at the cracks (or get someone on the bike while you look). If the cracks move or open when under this force you have a problem. If the forks just flex normally and there is no creaking/groaning or cracking sounds then happy days :okay:

It took me a couple times of reading that to realize what you were suggesting. My first reading of your post I envisioned the guy getting on his bike and riding it towards a wall or solid object while someone else hung onto the bike to watch the cracks. No one ever said I was the brightest bulb. :wacko::hyper::crazy:

Last edited:

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
As a former owner of a Reliant Scimitar, i immediately recognise that as crazed paint. The Reliant Scimitar had a gel undercoat due to its fiberglass construction and the sun will do that overtime. I would get it inspected professionally, but i would be pretty confident in saying that crazed paint is all that it is given the pictures provided...
Ooh, I bet you had a Kitten really ^_^

...but I think you're right.

OP, if you want to be 100%, as suggested by someone else, take the paint off, at least in part.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
As a former owner of a Reliant Scimitar, i immediately recognise that as crazed paint. The Reliant Scimitar had a gel undercoat due to its fiberglass construction and the sun will do that overtime. I would get it inspected professionally, but i would be pretty confident in saying that crazed paint is all that it is given the pictures provided...
I had a Reliant (Ahem, Regal) and suffered the same paint cracking.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
I had a Reliant (Ahem, Regal) and suffered the same paint cracking.
I had someone do the paint work for me, they took it right down to the fiberglass and blended it all back again. Before i had someone go into the side of it, the year after i had more crazing. I was going to learn the skill of doing it myself, but i promptly lose heart in the project, which i regret.

Top Bottom