Craighoppers Microfleece

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
My wife went into Millets today and, on the advice of the staff, got me two of these for £35. As they still have tags on etc they can be changed, just wanted to know if anyone had any experience of cycling in them? They're 100% polyester, I will be moving to all merino, but not until I've lost more weight. So I plan on wearing these for my commute with a merino t-shirt base layer.

Should be fine if its cold enough - I've worn one under a windproof with a base layer for most of this cold winter and its been fine, perhaps a little too warm at times, but then I go out of my way to go up hills ... (for exercise, not commuting).

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

Excellent, thanks NH, by the way, any problems with odour retention on these, I know they won't be as good as wool, as I do tend to leak a bit? I would be washing daily....thanks....Al

No odour problems at all, and I'm usually reasonably sweaty by the time I get home, in fact its never even occurred to me until you mentioned it then! We're all different, so you may have different mileage.

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

They'll do for me then, if I lose enough weight I'm going to treat myself to a couple of the Rapha Classic Sportwool jerseys, that come with arm warmers. But at £125 a pop it means I need to lose another 50lbs before I deserve such a treat.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
MacBludgeon said:
They'll do for me then, if I lose enough weight I'm going to treat myself to a couple of the Rapha Classic Sportwool jerseys, that come with arm warmers. But at £125 a pop it means I need to lose another 50lbs before I deserve such a treat.

Can I suggest the ground effect baked alaska for merino :wacko:
http://www.groundeffect.co.nz/products-MER.htm I ordered mine 2 weeks before Christmas and it arrived in 5 days :?:

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
If im right(offer might have gone, cant remember now:wacko:) but base layers were on buy one get one half price.
Not sure if those fleeces will do the job perfectly. Im guessing she got them for buy one get one half price? Thats the deal on in the millets store i work in at the moment.
I wouldnt wear one, but they should be fine.

A

another_dave_b

Wasn't there a news item a few months back about a Yorkshire/Lancashire web-start-up selling merino clothing?

yello

I personally wouldn't wear fleece as a base layer (not that you were suggesting that MacB). I reckon you'd cook.

If I wore it at all - and I don't think I would - it'd be as a mid layer on a very cold day. I reckon it'd suck as an outer due to not being windproof.

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

I know what you mean, I'm going to give it a go tomorrow with just base layer and fleece. But I'll pack the Nightvision just in case, shopping around for a really lightweight water/windproof, Montane looks fav at moment.

HelenD123

Legendary Member
yello said:
I personally wouldn't wear fleece as a base layer (not that you were suggesting that MacB). I reckon you'd cook.

If I wore it at all - and I don't think I would - it'd be as a mid layer on a very cold day. I reckon it'd suck as an outer due to not being windproof.[/quote]

Yep, the wind will go right through it and you'll freeze, speaking from personal experience. I went straight out and bought a windproof after going cycling in a fleece one day.

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

interesting, I'm guessing it's impacted by workrate as well, so I think I'll need some wind protection.

What would people think to carrying a gilet and a waterproof. I've seen the Montane jacket that they reckon folds down to the size of a tennis ball. If that's right then I could easily carry both in a saddle pack. There are some sales on these things now. I've been looking at the Montane, Pearl Izumi and Altura gilets, anyone any advice on these?

yello

I rate the Montane Featherlite - an excellent windproof/water repellant packable jacket. I don't have one myself but the misses does and I have borrowed it. Personally, I wouldn't get the 'Velo' version because it has a full zip and the other one (is it the smock?) has 1/3 length zip. It's a preference thing but I also reckon zips are a weak point - if water/cold is going to get through anywhere it'd be the zip.

I have a similar jacket, a Rab one. It's pretty much the same as the Montane (but without a stuff sack thing) and works just as well. Both the Montane and the Rab are made of pertex - that's the stuff you want to look for.

Gilets; excellent but not really my thing to be honest. I'll go out wearing one but I've never packed one as an extra 'just in case' layer. If I want something 'just in case', I take something with sleeves - be it my Rab or my CycleChat windproof (which, I must add, is excellent).

But don't let me put you off a gilet. It is worthwhile garment, if you can afford gilet and long sleeve then do it. They'll both get used. If only the one item, then I'd go long sleeve.

Top Bottom