cramp in toes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marooned

Über Member
What could be the cause of a feeling of impending cramp in my toes on a few recent short rides? I'm trying a new bike with toe cages and I'm wearing running trainers. I have worn trainers on my touring bike with no problems - I haven't converted to clipless yet. I think I was pretty well hydrated and fuelled so not likely an electrolyte imbalance...?

Broadside

Guru
At a guess I would say your feet are too far back on the pedal so your toes are doing the work rather than the ball of your foot.

I have size 11 feet and cannot use trainers ad toe clips because I cannot get enough of my foot over the pedal. The only way i can do it is by removing the toe cages on two of my bikes. On my main bike I have clipless so it is not a problem on that one...

OP
OP
M

marooned

Über Member
That might be it, as I've noticed the toe cage on these pedals don't reach the same point on my trainers compared with another set of toes cages on my other bike.

Is this a silly question, or do toe cages come in different sizes or are they one size fits all?

Broadside

Guru
I'm not aware of toe cages coming in standardised sizes i think they tend to be one size fits all. I just know that I cannot use a bike with them because my feet never fit in, so they are the first things I take off a bike, right after the reflectors, bell and any spokie dokies that might be fitted!

tyred

Legendary Member
Cages do indeed come in different sizes. It's also usually possible to extend yours forward with longer bolts and some spacer washers.

Top Bottom