Cramp On Club Runs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

graham jw

Hi All,

When cycling on my own, I do not suffer from cramp. However, on hard club runs I regularly get cramp, always in my left calf.

Any reason why?

When it happens, it is usually on a hard/fast run, Quicker than my normal pace. Our club night is Wednesday, I don't really get time to eat properly. I only have about 40 mins between getting home from work and having to leave for the club ride. I wolf down a bowl of porridge 20mins or so before I leave.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

I wouldn't eat porridge so close to the club run at night if it was me, a quick banana or cereal bar maybe, eat more during the day perhaps and have a proper tea when I get home. You may also consider something like Nuun Tablets to reduce the risk of cramp.

YahudaMoon

Über Member
You (we) should all do stretching exercises before and after any long or strenuous cycling. I do it sometimes.

Maybe this will help ?

Fiona N

Veteran
As i keep writing - and as is rather seconded by your post - most cramps are caused by lack of condition in the affected muscles. Basically you've not trained enough to be be able step up to the level for your club rides or, equally possibly, the faster tempo means you slightly alter your position (I assume we're talking about rides on the same bike here) and use your calf muscles more than you do when you're riding at a gentler pace.

This isn't as odd as it sounds, as when people are making more of an effort, they have a tendency (until it's trained out of them) to tense all sorts of muscles. SO you might find that when riding alone you hold the bars lightly and sit back on the saddle whereas in the club rides, the extra tempo and wanting to do well means you lean forward more, sit further backwards and grip the handlebars tight - and probably use the drops more.

If you're over-using your calf muscles, it tends to mean you're not using your glutes enough and you may be ankling to try and force a bigger gear. If the problem persists it's probably worth talking to a coach as you may want to get this sorted - a postural change at higher tempos which gives you cramp can be the indicator of future injuries.

Top Bottom