Cramp!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Big Nick

I'm not one for getting cramp but got it for the first time on a bike yesterday

I hadn't been out on my bike for a couple of weeks and did a 52 miler, cramp got my right upper leg at 30 miles and the lower leg joined in around 45 miles!

Bloody painful and resulted in 3 stops to massage my leg, must of been entertaining for the passing motorists!!

What's the best ways to avoid it?

ScotiaLass

Guru
It could be dehydration...are you taking in enough fluids? or low Potassium (eat more bananas!) or low Sodium (again fluids will help).
I am sure some will be along to add to this but that's all I can think of right now!

vickster

Legendary Member
I get it in my right foot when clipped in for a while. Perhaps check the position of your feet/leg (assuming you are clipped in). If not dehydration/low salt etc, or could simply be having the leg in the same position after not riding, so a one off

If it continues despite doing what SL advises, see a doctor

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I'm not one for getting cramp but got it for the first time on a bike yesterday

I hadn't been out on my bike for a couple of weeks and did a 52 miler ......
It's this bit mostly. Cramp is mostly due to over exertion or lack of conditioning. That's why cramp threads are numerous early season and all but disappeared by now as peoples fitness increases.
There's a lot if blah about electrolytes, but little proof. Search the net, it's a poorly understood phenomena.

The way to prevent it is to keep cycling and if you do have a lay- off return to it gently.

I always get it in my feet when i stop cycling, especially after a long session. Nothing worse than foot cramp when you are trying to pull away at a junction and clip in.

I think my particular cramps are due to an injury when i was a teenager - car came up the kerb on a corner and ran over my feet.

young Ed

Veteran
a pinch of salt in a bottle of ribena isn't really tastable but helps prevent cramps and stitches
Cheers Ed

Kevoffthetee

On the road to nowhere
I got cramp at the weekend while out on a Hilly club run. I'd already had one bottle of water after 25 miles so it wasn't dehydration. One of the lads give my an SIS gel while on the move, said it might help and it did after 3-4 minutes. I'd have a large bowl of porridge for breakfast and a banana prior to the ride so didn't think it was nutrition issues, there fore it must have been conditioning but the gel had the desired effect.

Coincidence, maybe put I will be carrying gels in the future

Top Bottom