Cramp

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rsvdaz

I'm currently increasing my cycling distance in anticipation of doing the 100k option of the dartmoor classic..as I havent been on a bike for a few years my initial rides were about 6miles...i'm starting to increase this and last night doubled this amount...but i got severe cramp in my right calf..I could feel it coming on and dropped down a few gears to lighten the load on my legs to squeeze out the lactic acid...but it still came on..how can I avoid cramping and how best recover from it if I do get a bout?

Hont

Guru
Cramping is normally caused by not having enough fluids in your system, so make sure you are hydrating enough before your ride.

One of the other possible causes is the position of your leg/foot. You don't say if you are using cleats or not, but if you are, you might need to look at your foot/cleat position.

To recover, do as you see footballers do when they get cramp in their calves; stretch the muscle.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
There's a lot of theory about what causes cramp and what you need to do to avoid it... who knows, some of it may even be true. The medical profession don't actually know the cause.

What is true is that as you get fitter, get in better condition, your cramping will dissappear. Cramping questions nearly always arise at this time of year as people dust of their bikes and over-exert themselves after the winter lay-off and as people start to 'train' for the coming season.
Start-slow and gently build your fitness, the cramps will go.

Broadside

Guru
For me cramp in my calves during a ride is most often because my legs are cold, so I now where ski socks under my cycling tights which solved that problem.

Cramp in my legs after a ride is most often due to hydration. I use a 1/4 teaspoon of salt in my water while out on a ride which has solved that sort of cramp for me. Lots of trial an error I'm afraid until you find what works for you, so good luck!

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
If you getting it at night ( i used to get this all the time) then i find it's mainly because you didn't stretch afterwards. make sure you stretch your legs well.

Top Bottom