Cramps...in your shin?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Different approach - calf raises with weights in the gym - lots of reps - get the blood pumping through those muscles - warm down with down with down dogs - Achilles stretches.

OP
OP
C

Cycle-swim

Regular
Just drop a SIS or high5 tablet or similar in in your preferred flavour in your water bottle (I wouldn't drink anything the colour of antifreeze like Gatorade :biggrin: )

Lol! I agree! I normally will only drink water and if anything...I add about three or four ounces of cranberry juice to a liter or so of water. But that's mostly sugar, not salt. I'm about to get on a bike within the next hour or so and will add some sodium instead.

OP
OP
C

Cycle-swim

Regular
I know that all these electrolytes sachets contain the perfect balance of salts, minerals, essential micro nutrients.

But the major ingredient is salt. Here is a Hi5 tabs nutrients details
View attachment 665126

:okay:

Ooooh. And I was thinking maybe adding about 35 mg. salt. Above, this one alone is in the 250 mg range. I think my overall avoidance of sodium is cultural: "salt is bad for you." In appropriate amounts, sodium is good for you...

Thanks for the info!

OP
OP
C

Cycle-swim

Regular
Gatorade is loaded with sugar, fine if you're training at high intensities, but really not recommended as they're addictive for all the sugar they contain :thumbsdown:

Yeah, Gatorade and others: not just the sugar, but the artificial color! The food dyes are a tangental problem. I agree!

OP
OP
C

Cycle-swim

Regular
Different approach - calf raises with weights in the gym - lots of reps - get the blood pumping through those muscles - warm down with down with down dogs - Achilles stretches.

What about cramps being a result of not enough warming-up/stretching before/after?

Gwylan

Veteran
Terrible product, might as well use Redbull coz they're really good for you :laugh:

Red bull is useful for cleaning rusty parts. Drink your own urine before you think of drinking Redbull

What about cramps being a result of not enough warming-up/stretching before/after?

Well I suppose it breaks down into 2 areas:-

1.) Your muscles aren't getting enough of something causing the cramps

2.) The muscles are weak/stiff - or you are working them in such a way that fatigues a certain muscle.

My advice to give those lower legs a workout in the gym was to address scenario 2.

You might also want to look at a book "pain free" by Peter Egoscue - he talks alot about alignment and balance of tiny muscles - if these tiny muscles aren't working as they should - big muscles take over - but the big muscles are less precise so can lead to all sorts of weird aches and pains.

Top Bottom