Cramping Calves

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi all,

Been cycling for a few weeks without a hitch but in my last ride I ended up with severe cramping in both calves and had to pull over.

The day after i had no problems but now my legs are killing 2-3 days on. It feels like delayed onset muscle soreness but way more intense than I've had from working out in the gym. Was wondering if anyone had experienced this before and how to relieve it/speed up recovery as I have a 30 mile ride planned on Sunday with the my local club and don't want to miss out.

Cheers

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Interested to hear peoples thoughts on this as my wife was suffering the same after her last commute. I've managed to only cramp up after I've stopped riding so far :-)

OP
OP
confusedcyclist

confusedcyclist

Veteran
There was a chance I was slightly dehydrated but I had a substantial meal before heading out... but the main problem is the pain several days on... lol

Mile195

Veteran
2nd vote here on dehydration. When I used to run alot I'd always get them if I hadn't drunk enough water over the course of the day. Drinking a load of water 90 minutes before going out wasn't always enough to stop it either.
One time it was so disabling I could barely walk home, and the ache lasted days, presumably where the muscle had been straining so hard, much like if you have a heavy session on weights at the gym.
Drink more fluids, cut out some caffiene if you drink it (which don't forget is in Tea as well as coffee), and you may find this helps.

RebornBumbler

I had exactly the same problem when I was a few weeks in, and pushing harder/going faster.
After usually 45 minutes or so I'd cramp-up in my calves.

In the end it has been primarily cured by developing more muscular calves - but better hydration (and for a few weeks dropping the saddle slightly) definitely helped me along. If you get some notice, drop down a couple of gears and keep lightly pedalling - you'll probably find you can get home without any real problems, and might even get a second wind.

Do lots of calf raises until you almost start to cramp (once you're over your current strain)
Eventually some other muscles will be your weak point, and they'll cramp first! :smile:

OP
OP
confusedcyclist

confusedcyclist

Veteran
Some top advice. Thanks guys!

JasonHolder

on youtube. learning to be a gent
Cramps are caused by fatigued muscle! Nothing to do with minerals.

Ask anyone whose cramping and they will tell you they either did a heavy leg workout the day before. or were cycling on their tip toes! Just ask mr @Razzle