Cramping

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Trickydicky

Hi All,

Did a 35 mile cycle with my dad (aged 50 now) on saterday and he got cramp at 30 miles and couldnt go anyferther so had to call my mother to get him picked up.
I was wondering what would cause this cramp as he usualy gets it when he is cycling and it always happends around the same distance he says.
How could he help to stop it happening?

Thanks
TD

BSRU

A Human Being
Hi All,

Did a 35 mile cycle with my dad (aged 50 now) on saterday and he got cramp at 30 miles and couldnt go anyferther so had to call my mother to get him picked up.
I was wondering what would cause this cramp as he usualy gets it when he is cycling and it always happends around the same distance he says.
How could he help to stop it happening?

Thanks
TD

I thought cramps were cause by vitamin/mineral deficiency or dehydration or maybe lactic acid build up.

rockyraccoon

Veteran
Agree with BSRU however I don't think there is real answer for that.. you'll get different answers from each person.. I was getting calves cramp and found out that my foot position/cleats were causing them. If nothing has changed on his bike like saddle, cleat, shoes position for example, then I would say try to warm up & stretch before the rides.. it might help..

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Saddle too low - Check seat hight (leg should be at 95% extension when in 6 o'clock position.

Dehydration - Ensure regular intake of water.

Loss of too much salt through sweat - also ensure regular intake of isotonic fluid (off the shelf or home made).

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Cramp is often caused by sodium deficiency. You can lose sodium in your salty sweat at a surprising rate - and replace it equally quickly. Just eat a bag of crisps and the problem may be solved with magical speed. An isotonic drink, sipped steadily throughout the ride is better, though.

In general, the "eat healthy" advice we're all bombarded with can be rather unhelpful if you're exercising hard. Low-calorie foods may leave you bonking because you don't have enough fuel on board; zero-sugar drinks do nothing to boost your blood sugar and low-salt everything isn't too helpful if you're sweating like a pig in tropical heat. If you're exercising hard or long, you may have to go out of your way to get enough fuel (sugar, starch), electrolytes (salt, mostly) and water on board to keep going.

Fiona N

Veteran
The usual b****ks about cramps....;)

The main cause of cramps for cyclists is now thought to be under-conditioning. That is, you haven't cycled enough to build the endurance in your muscles for the load you've just expected them to bear so they fatigue and when they fatigue, things go awry. Hence why people who cycle far and often rarely get them and weekend warriors get them frequently.

There's a good article from the professionals of Science of Sport blogsite here looking at the old and new theories for cramps.