Crane (Aldi) Cadence & Speed Sensor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Found this on Aldi’s website and wondered if:

1. Anyone had got one
2. Would it work for more than 5 minutes without breaking
3. Does it work well with any other cycling apps other than the Crane app
4. Is it accurate or should I just judge my speed and cadence by how turning the pedals really, really, really fast?!

I wouldn’t expect miracles for £5.99, but I would expect a basic sensor that does what it says on the tin.

My favourite cycling jacket and long bottoms are from Aldi so I know cheap does not necessarily equate to nasty.

Thoughts?

Slick

Guru
Got to be worth a punt at 6 quid. Anything I've had from Aldi has been great value but obviously there is much better out there.

D

Deleted member 26715

Looks very similar to the Decathlon one that they no longer sell as theirs now has Bluetooth included, so it could be surplus stock rebadged at the factory, if so I've got 2 of them & used them for over 5 years.

Edit:- Just looked that's back from Sept 2018 will they still have any?

clockworksimon

Über Member
I got one of these in September. A bit fiddly to set up and a bit lumpy looking. I got it to use with a basic turbo trainer alongside a Bluetooth heart rate monitor. It’s going strong after 3 months of use.

Main tip for setup is to download the recommended Crane app and link to phone first through this. After doing this Wahoo links to it without fuss. I havent opened the Crane app since.

On the road the speed measurement seems accurate and reads the same as my cateye computer.

I looked at the Decathlon sensor too. Couldn’t find reviews of this either so took chance on the Aldi one. Will be a real bargain at the reduced price!

OP
OP
LeetleGreyCells

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Looks very similar to the Decathlon one that they no longer sell as theirs now has Bluetooth included, so it could be surplus stock rebadged at the factory, if so I've got 2 of them & used them for over 5 years.

Edit:- Just looked that's back from Sept 2018 will they still have any?
The description says it’s Bluetooth included and available online only. The only thing is, is that looking at the picture on the website of the sensor attached to the bike - it looks ugly. :crazy:

D

Deleted member 26715

Sorry don't do aesthetic's al
The only thing is, is that looking at the picture on the website of the sensor attached to the bike - it looks ugly. :crazy:
If it's form over function then you're going to have to put your hand in your pocket & pay 8-10x more for a Garmin or Wahoo branded one.

Reactions: C R

clockworksimon

Über Member
You get what you pay for........I am still happy with the device after buying it at full price in September (think it was £25 to £30 ish). My experience with other Aldi electronics has been good so far. My Aldi portable hard drive has outlasted two Seagate drives. At the sale price it’s a snip!

KneesUp

Guru
I bought one at my local Aldi this weekend because it was reduced from £9.99 to £6.99. Interesting there are further reductions.

To get it to pair with my phone I had to use the Crane app. However, you cannot use the Crane app without registering, and you cannot use your registration details without confirming your email address via a button in an email they send you. I tried two different gmail accounts and got no acknowledgement email, so couldn't use the app, so couldn't pair the device. I used an icloud email address and got the confirmation email immediately. I still don't have them for the gmail accounts, so I suspect an issue there.

I put it on the bike last night. The spoke magnet doesn't seem to fit very securely and is a bit clunky, but it works. Strava was able to detect it too.

OP
OP
LeetleGreyCells

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
I fitted the sensor to my son’s bike today after hooking the bike up to the turbo. I got the speed bit working fine, but not the cadence. I’ll have a fettle again tomorrow.

My son spun the pedals for 15 minutes and the speed sensor worked fine. It gave his speed and the equivalent distance cycled, the latter of which is what he was after knowing.

I’ll see if I can get the cadence sensor working tomorrow.

Top Bottom