Crank and spindle greasing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mick54

It may sound like a stupid question,its been many years since i stripped down the bearings in the spindles etc but how often would you need to strip down and grease bearings on modern bikes,i,m only doing around 70 miles a week at the moment but i want the bike in good running order for a charity ride later in the year

Gunk

Guru
Unless it has significant play in it, I’d just leave it alone.

It may sound like a stupid question,its been many years since i stripped down the bearings in the spindles etc but how often would you need to strip down and grease bearings on modern bikes,i,m only doing around 70 miles a week at the moment but i want the bike in good running order for a charity ride later in the year
When they start creaking / clicking.

tyred

Legendary Member
If they have no play or no tight spots or grittiness, leave it alone - if it ain't broke, don't mend it.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I'm assuming that as you said it's been many years since you stripped and greased the bearings you have a old style square taper BB with seperate bearings.
If you want you could go over the sealed square taper type of you want to avoid future maintenance. About £15 I think.

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
A linked - or possibly included - question is whether or not to grease the square taper before fitting the cranks.

I've read/heard reliable sounding opinions for both options.

Last time I did one, I opted for a weedy British compromise of putting a tiny bit of grease on hoping nobody was looking.

D

Deleted member 1258

I have read in maintenance manuals that putting grease on the square spindles is not advisable as it will cause the crank to pulled further on to taper than should be. Don't know about that but I can see no advantage to doing it as a good crank puller should be able to deal with any stubborn crank.

I've always put the cranks on dry. There have been several threads on here on the subject, though not recently.

roley poley

Über Member
a tiny bit is ok on the faces .My tip is to make sure the threads are clean on your extractor and cranks before removal (a bit of degreaser on a tooth brush) as any cause of misalignment or cross threading at that stage may well ruin your next step, your parts,your day and your street cred

Top Bottom