Crank arms spinning when they shouldnt

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smittson

Hello everyone,

It's my first post on the forum so welcome to you all. I thought maybe I could get some advice on a peculiar problem I have with a bike I have.

The bike in question is a schwinn 29er, just a cheapie one with low end components. Basically the crank arms sometimes move round when they shouldn't, for instance when the bike is on the ground and you put pressure on the pedal they will just move round and not engage properly(if that makes sense.) I first noticed this when I put new shifters on and was adjusting the front derailleur. The bike is in very good condition so I don't think the parts are worn from use. It doesn't happen all the time either, only sometimes.

What do you think the cause could be? Never seen this problem before so don't know where to start. Thanks for reading

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The pawls in the rear cassette sometimes fail to engage which gives the symptoms you describe - pedalling without going anywhere.

The quick on the road fix is to shock the pawls, best done by bouncing the back wheel off hard ground.

If the problem happens a lot, you will need a new cassette.

They are quite cheap for a budget bike and fairly simple to fit.

OP
OP
S

Smittson

Thank you very much for the reply, so you think it could be that? Off to bash the wheel and see if it makes a difference!

I do have another cassette so at least I can switch it over if it comes down to it, just hoping it wasn't a hub problem. Cheers

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I had the same problem with a worn out free hub on my back wheel. I tried to get a replacement hub but it proved to be more economical to get a new pair of wheels because the rims were pretty worn.

OP
OP
S

Smittson

Thanks for the answers. Gave the wheel a couple of bangs and went for a quick ride around the block and it hasn't happened again, but will have to test it for longer to see if the issue has gone completely.

Where exactly should I spray the gt85 cubist? I'm not familiar with the location of the pawls, Do I need to take off the cassette to get to them?

Cheers

OP
OP
S

Smittson

Cheers @slowmotion :smile:

Top Bottom