crank broke

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I recently fixed my partner's bike. I changed a tyre and innertube and turned the bike upside down to get the wheel off. Now the crank is loose and my partner is blaming me for this. I can't see how its my fault but just out of curiosity is there anyway I could have broken the crank?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
what type of crank is it.
It may be a case of you just needing to tighten it up.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
If they're not kept tight they can get badly damaged - if you cycle with a loose crank arm you'll wear the hole that the bottom bracket fixes through till it is the wrong shape and won't fit properly. I found this out the expensive way.

__________________________________________________________________________________
Sent from a recumbent.... settee.

betty swollocks

large member
Are you sure you mean the crank?

538378_10150896983658892_1280279807_n.jpg
Which bit are you referring to?

Sounds like the Bottom bracket Spindle might have allready damaged the soft metal of the Chainset. Not knowing what Bottom bracket or chainset you have it is hard to give a real answer to your problem.
If the Cranks slide onto a square ended Spindle, one idea I have used in the past is to shim up the inside of the Crank arms with thin metal then knock them onto the spindle using a rubber or leather hammer then tighten up the retaining Hex cap head screw. If it is the spindle flapping around inside of the BB Unit then you will need to replace it, if it is a sealed unit, or rebuild it if it is a dismantle-able unit.

OP
OP
J

james79

Are you sure you mean the crank?

View attachment 11269 Which bit are you referring to?

betty swollocks

large member
Is the crank wobbly on the axle, or, is the axle( which runs through the bottom bracket shell) joining the two cranks, wobbly?

Top Bottom