crank broke

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by james79, 29 Jul 2012.

1. james79

james79 Member

I recently fixed my partner's bike. I changed a tyre and innertube and turned the bike upside down to get the wheel off. Now the crank is loose and my partner is blaming me for this. I can't see how its my fault but just out of curiosity is there anyway I could have broken the crank?

2. ianrauk

ianrauk Tattooed Beat Messiah

what type of crank is it.
    It may be a case of you just needing to tighten it up.

3. Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture Internet Marketing bod

If they're not kept tight they can get badly damaged - if you cycle with a loose crank arm you'll wear the hole that the bottom bracket fixes through till it is the wrong shape and won't fit properly. I found this out the expensive way.

__________________________________________________________________________________
    Sent from a recumbent.... settee.

4. OP
    OP
    james79

james79 Member

5. OP
    OP
    james79

james79 Member

6. OP
    OP
    james79

james79 Member

Dont know what crank it is. Its just a cheap ladies mountain bike. Ive tightened the allen key nuts up and the crank is still loose.

7. betty swollocks

betty swollocks large member

Are you sure you mean the crank?

538378_10150896983658892_1280279807_n.jpg Which bit are you referring to?

helston90 and MossCommuter like this.
  8. Ticktockmy

Ticktockmy Veteran

Sounds like the Bottom bracket Spindle might have allready damaged the soft metal of the Chainset. Not knowing what Bottom bracket or chainset you have it is hard to give a real answer to your problem.
    If the Cranks slide onto a square ended Spindle, one idea I have used in the past is to shim up the inside of the Crank arms with thin metal then knock them onto the spindle using a rubber or leather hammer then tighten up the retaining Hex cap head screw. If it is the spindle flapping around inside of the BB Unit then you will need to replace it, if it is a sealed unit, or rebuild it if it is a dismantle-able unit.

9. OP
    OP
    james79

james79 Member

10. OP
    OP
    james79

james79 Member

Its definitely the crank as the full thing is wobbly.

11. betty swollocks

betty swollocks large member

Is the crank wobbly on the axle, or, is the axle( which runs through the bottom bracket shell) joining the two cranks, wobbly?

12. Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture Internet Marketing bod

Are you talking about the left leg side or the right leg side?

__________________________________________________________________________________
    Sent partially submerged beneath a cat.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice