Crank/chain ring compatibility advice.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
When I got the Triban 540, knowing it was an 11 speed 105 Shimano had me believing that the chain rings would be interchangeable/compatible with my Rose flat bar.

The Rose is Shinano 11 speed 105 also . The spare chain rings I bought for the Rose are not going to be any use as spares for the Triban 540 because they will not fit.

I'm guessing I am not the only one surprised by this?

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Are they the same series? i.e 5800

Could there be 2 different descriptions ? It
Decathlon description.png

It mentions 5800 groupset.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Could there be 2 different descriptions ? It mentions 5800 groupset.

Scroll down a bit and read the full spec sheet.

Yes, you can argue that the description is deliberately misleading. Unfortunately, this is not at all uncommon. I've seen many, many bikes where the headline "groupset" may only mean the shifters and mechs are from that groupset. You can take it up with advertising standards if you like, but I don't think there's any legally defined standard for what is included in a "groupset", and the spec sheet looks accurate enough. And even if you didn't read the spec sheet, it's obvious from the picture that it isn't a 105 chainset.

Bike manufacturers often use a mix of lower spec/non-series/cheaper make components to bring the overall price down - the most common items being the chainset, brakes, cassette and chain. Indeed, if you look at the full spec sheet for the Triban 540, you will see that it also has Tektro brakes. They will be a bit ropey compared to proper 105 brakes.

To be honest, a £679 bike being advertised with "105 groupset" and Aksium wheels should have set a few alarm bells ringing. The wheels don't even come with the matching Mavic tyres.

However, it's still a very good bike for the price.

I thank you for writing all that Smutchin. Not only for your effort, but I learn from posters like you.

I acknowledge what you mention about the price. Given a choice I would have rather paid extra to Decathlon and got the full group set. (I was willing pay over a grand to ROSE bikes to buy another 105)

So, my question now is am I stuck with this 5 arm chain ring? When I eventually wear it out, what other bits would I need to change to accommodate the 4 arm chain rings-both large & small?

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I thank you for writing all that Smutchin. Not only for your effort, but I learn from posters like you.

When I bought my Felt 12 years ago I didn’t even know there was such a thing as a “groupset”. It came with 10-speed 105 shifters and mechs, and an FSA chainset. I was none the wiser. And I don't think I would have noticed any difference to the performance if it had a proper 105 chainset.

These days, poring over bike spec sheets is a significant part of my day job... sometimes I long for those days of blissful ignorance. ^_^

So, my question now is am I stuck with this 5 arm chain ring? When I eventually wear it out, what other bits would I need to change to accommodate the 4 arm chain rings-both large & small?

I don’t think you’d need to change anything else, just the cranks. I think the RS500 uses a Hollowtech BB, so that wouldn’t need to change. Chain, shifters and front mech will all be compatible too.

Last edited:

Joffey

Big Dosser
You can probably sell the RS500 for about £50 on eBay then buy a 5800 chainset from Wiggle or the like and just swap them over. That's what I did when upgrading my Triban 540. TBH the brakes are ok on that bike so I left them be.

It happens on loads of bikes, even the expensive ones - look at the Cervelo bikes that come with Ultegra, they tend to have different chainsets on.

Obviously do that if it bothers you THAT much but it will make hardly any difference to your bike. And when the old ones have worn out? Just buy a new chainset.

The 540 is an amazing bike for the money.

Top Bottom