Crank/chainset removal?

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by Goldfang, 17 Apr 2010.

1. Goldfang

Goldfang New Member

Today I used my newly acquired crank puller to remove a steel cotterles chainset off an old bike with a view to putting this on my single speed 'project' frame as it is in very good nick. It came off after a lot of sweat and cursing. When I went to remove the knackered alloy chainset from the aforementioned frame the right crank came off ok but the thread stripped on the chainwheel side crank. What do I do now? I have sprayed loads more WD 40 on it, will it tap off with a hammer? I do not want to damage the bottom bracket or remove it if I can avoid it, as the bottom bracket, like the headset on this frame appear to be in very good condition, and the steel chainset will fit the bb.

2. Gerry Attrick

Gerry Attrick Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant

Do you mean the thread into which the crank extractor screws? If so, the only way to proceed without damage to the BB is to cut a slot in the BB end of the crank arm. Very long and laborious, but the alternative use of heat and force is likely to b****r the BB.

3. OP
    OP
    Goldfang

Goldfang New Member

Unfortunately yes, I was thinking about getting the hacksaw out!

4. Gerry Attrick

Gerry Attrick Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant

Just one last thing to try is to leave off the crank arm securing nut or bolt and take the bike for a ride around the block and to pedal hard in a high gear. Once (and if) you feel the crank arm slackening, stop pedaling.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice