Crank clicking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mrwatt

So here goes for my very first post.
Sure some of you very helpful people would be able to help me out. ;)

Recently refound my love for the sport again after a new purchase.
Just bought a giant TCR and completed around 500 miles on it. Thing is I have a really annoying click around the crank/pedal area. It comes about when I put the power down and on every revolution. The clicking is happening at the same spot on the revolution. Really discomforting when you want to ride hard. And Im sure its getting worse.

Anybody have any idea what it could be or come across this themselves?

It is your BB. If it is a screw-in BB, remove it, clean the threads, apply copper compound and replace. If it is a press-fit BB, live with it.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
There a lots of reasons for clicking, mine turned out to be the saddle which had a bit of flex, just as I would push down on one pedal, but in the time it took me to track it down I had replaced the pedals and checked the chain etc. good luck!

Could be both of above (I've had a click which turned out to be seat related) another is have you checked pedals are tight... Mrs V had a click on her Boardman I checked each possible cause. I removed pedals cleaned threads and put a tiny bit of copper grease and put them back on and it's gone now.

If you bought your bike new then take it back. They should repair it for free ^_^
Why should they? Clicking is either because of dirt ingress (screw-in) or because of component design (press-fit). The bike manufacturer or retailer has no control over either of those factors.

migrantwing

Veteran
I get it occasionally on the drive side pedal when standing. It's the tiniest of clicks/bumps but, nonetheless, it's annoying. May do a complete stripdown-rebuild, grease and lubricate all parts/points ready for Winter.

OP
OP
mrwatt

mrwatt

Thanks for the responses people I'll have a look into fixing it. Sounds simple enough. Famous last words.

OP
OP
mrwatt

mrwatt

This ^^^^ or your left crank is hitting the cadence/speed sensor.

Thanks. I dont think its either of those cable runs inside the frame and I have made sure the sensors are clear. In a light gear and without much force through the pedals I don't hear it. Really gets going when I'm out of the seat and putting the hammer down.

Thanks. I dont think its either of those cable runs inside the frame and I have made sure the sensors are clear. In a light gear and without much force through the pedals I don't hear it. Really gets going when I'm out of the seat and putting the hammer down.
This will be after the cable has exited the fd clamp, where you put the endcap on.

autolycus

Über Member
FWIW (I'm very much a novice at bikes) I had an annoying click exactly like you describe for a long time on a newish bike. Turned out to be the bearing on one of the pedals. It's pretty easy to diagnose if you (or the shop that sold you the bike) have a spare set to try. It seems that even quite expensive bikes often come equipped with very ordinary quality pedals.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have just solved a mysterious clicking problem exactly like the one described by mrwatt. The bottom bracket on the bike is an old-fashioned square taper one.

The problem turned out to be partly that one crank bolt needed to be slightly tighter (that reduced the severity of the problem) but the main cause was the crank's self-extracting threaded collar. I took that out and went for a ride this evening which included some 20% climbing and there wasn't a sound from the drivetrain. (There were all sorts of wheezing, grunting and gasping noises from me but short of a course of EPO, they won't be so easy to fix!)

Globalti

Legendary Member
Is it a BB30 bottom bracket? If so the noise is caused by the 30mm alloy axle flexing microscopically inside the inner bearing races. It's not the bearings in the frame as everybody will tell you. Take it all apart and smear bearing fit compound on the machined bands where the axle sits inside the bearing races; that will stop the noise.

Top Bottom