Crank extracting tools

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Johnymak

I'm looking to pull off an 80.s square taper silstar crank

I'm just wondering are all crank pulleys the same size
I'm thinking on getting a park tool
But unsure what type il need
I'd rather buy a quality one

Also any info on different crank pulleys and sizes would be great advice
Thanks john

Good morning,

I have never seen crank extractors for square taper bottom brackets marketed as "suitable for these brands only". :-)

So unless anyone else comes along and says "most are indeed the same size, but...." I'd just buy it and be really surprised if if it doesn't work.

As you can get cheaper than the Park maybe be cautious and get one of those just to be sure, they are not tools that are easy to make badly as they are basically just a nut with a thread on the outside as well as the inside and a "bolt" with a fancy head that has pretty easy job.

There is relatively little demand for them nowadays so nobody makes them out of putty and sells them to Poundland. :-)

Bye

Ian

Drago

Legendary Member
Bear in mind extractors for square taper and Octalink/ISIS are different. IIRC the central pushing pin is a different size on each. Otherwise, you're good to go.

Sharky

Guru
I have two different sized extractors in my toolbox. The earlier Stronglight ones that I rode in the 60's (Stronglight 49D's) used a different thread size, but I agree that all are now the same and just buy a current extractor.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
If you don't do your crank bolts up tight enough, the cranks will come loose...
A short ride around the block with slightly loose crank bolts will do the trick of you don't have a crank extractor. :okay:

Reactions: C R

C R

Guru
Even though all square taper cranks are probably the same, I had an issue where my extractor would not work to extract from a spindle with holes, instead of threaded bolts, because the tip of the extractor would go into the hole, and damage the thread there instead of pulling the crank out. I ended up getting a set of self extracting bolts, so I don't need an extractor now.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
As @Sharky mentioned Stronglight use different extractors , others should all be just a std type i think

Top Bottom