Crank length confusion.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shadow master

so 6ft is 165mm cranks.
9.5% according to Graham obree 9.7% according to others,I consider Graham one of the greatest cycling minds that ever lived and certainly the fastest his achievements still can't be beaten today so 9.5% so 172.5mm for 6ft pretty standard on a 54\55cm bike these days

Graham obree says 9.5% of your height....graham says it I believe it!
ok so 172.5mm cranks

9.5% according to Graham obree 9.7% according to others,I consider Graham one of the greatest cycling minds that ever lived and certainly the fastest his achievements still can't be beaten today so 9.5% so 172.5mm for 6ft pretty standard on a 54\55cm bike these days
I actually prefer 170mm over 172.5mm, though have both.

shadow master

I actually prefer 170mm over 172.5mm, though have both.
Yeah I know what your saying,I suppose the other thing you have to bare in mind Graham discovered that having the bb sat behind you generated more power so his theories are a bit radical, although nearly all of his ideas have now become mainstream on aerobikes but they are still barely matching his records!

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I have 172.5 cranks on all my bikes bar one. When I replaced the crankset on my Condor, I mistakenly bought 175 cranks. No problem I thought, but that 2.5 does make quite a difference going up hills. Also, it has led to a very slight toe overlap with the front wheel with the crank at 90 degrees. Something to be aware of.

shadow master

I have 172.5 cranks on all my bikes bar one. When I replaced the crankset on my Condor, I mistakenly bought 175 cranks. No problem I thought, but that 2.5 does make quite a difference going up hills. Also, it has led to a very slight toe overlap with the front wheel with the crank at 90 degrees. Something to be aware of.
Odd crank lengths also leads to shifting around on the saddle...ask mark Cavendish he rode a tour stage with odd length cranks!!!!unbelievable school boy error from mechanics

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I think leg and foot length would have the greatest impact on this. But frame size and fitting should also take some of this into consideration. My orthopedist said that while I am 6'3", I have torso measurement quite short compared to leg length. Another fellow at work drove my bus for a while as relief man, and he had the seat 6" further forward than I did. He was also 6'3", but with longer torso and shorter legs. 2 men, same height, one 175 cranks, one 160. I could actually go to 180 but they are hard to find. I was planning on doing a trainer comparison this winter, but delays to my repair of the Fuji will make that unlikely, as I think winter may break early around here. Also the so many projects, so little time thing may kick in as well.

Top Bottom