crank length

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jifdave

rubbish uphill, downhill 'balast' make me fast
I currently ride 1 65cm frame with shimano 105 175mm cranks, i'm 6'8 and its comfortable and i have no problems.
but..... wiggle have dura ace in 180mm in their price drop and are falling into a price range id be happy to pay.

my question is would 180mm cranks likely be a better fit for me?

would they offer any performance benefit?(just on length not weight/stiffness)

is there any charts to suggest crank length for certain heights?

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Most people wont be able to tell you what length their cranks are, nevermind any of the minute differences.

Sharky

Guru
Lots on the net about crank lengths.
Research in the Tri camps are leading to shorter cranks and 145mm appear to offer the optimum performance. It's not about leverage, as the cranks are just part of the total transmission which includes the front and rear cogs, tyre size, cranks and you own legs. If you ride shorter cranks, you will probably ride a lower gear and pedal faster.

The biggest gains with short cranks is having a better aero position and a more comfortable position as you can raise the saddle and stop the knees from hitting your stomach. I've been riding with 145 or 150mm for a few seasons and much prefer them.

Cheers keith

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I'm 6'5" & run with 175mm cranks, did have a bike with shorter cranks (think they were 165mm) & the difference was more noticeable than I expected & not in a positive way for me. If I'd not just upgraded my crankset to Dura Ace I would have considered the 180mm option

Top Bottom