Crank length?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

e-rider

crappy member
A few points to add here.

I'm 6'2" and happily use 175mm cranks - I've never tried 172.5mm but 170mm definitely feel shorter (too short)

Compacts are rubbish IMO - I swapped my 34T to a 39T to make 39/50 which is much better. 50:11 or 50:12 is enough for most 'normal' riders.

A gear of 50:12 is fairly big and can easily make more than 34mph on the flat. Do you have a rev counter (cadence) on your computer? Would be interesting to know your limit as I'm guessing that it could be improved.

Fiona N

Veteran
Let me throw a curly one in here - I'm 5'6" with 31 inch inside leg and have 155mm cranks :ohmy:

....on my recumbent that is. Going from 170mm to 155mm gave a huge difference in my ability to spin on bigger gradients - previously I'd sort of 'got stuck' with a dead zone at the 9 o' clock (most extended) position. But I suspect 155mm on an upright would feel a bit too short - I've always used 170's on track, TT and road bikes.

lukesdad

Fiona N said:
Let me throw a curly one in here - I'm 5'6" with 31 inch inside leg and have 155mm cranks :ohmy:

....on my recumbent that is. Going from 170mm to 155mm gave a huge difference in my ability to spin on bigger gradients - previously I'd sort of 'got stuck' with a dead zone at the 9 o' clock (most extended) position. But I suspect 155mm on an upright would feel a bit too short - I've always used 170's on track, TT and road bikes.

shorter stroke = higher revs thats one of the reasons little guys are better climbers

Top Bottom