Crank Noise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gummo

I've suddenly had the crank noise featured on the wee video I've uploaded to YouTube - any ideas?

Last edited:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Do the cranks make that noise if you spin them without the chain?

Reactions: mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Can you localise the noise any more by putting your finger on various parts (BB shell, spindle ends, what look like outboard bearings...) and seeing if the clicking feels stronger anywhere more than others?

OP
OP
Gummo

Gummo

Can you localise the noise any more by putting your finger on various parts (BB shell, spindle ends, what look like outboard bearings...) and seeing if the clicking feels stronger anywhere more than others?
I can't isolate it more specifically - maybe it's my age (58). :unsure:

Globalti

Legendary Member
It sounds like dry bearings to me. Is the movement of the crankset notchy as it goes round?

Globalti

Legendary Member
Notchy bearings mean dry and damaged. Is there any play if you grab the cranks and waggle them from side to side? The cracking noise happens when they rub against each other. If the BB can't be dismantled and serviced, take the bike to a decent shop (not a supermarket) and ask the mechanic to confirm the diagnosis and fit a new BB. They are cheap compared to the miles of service they will give you.

Tizme

Veteran
My mechanic mate and I have been trying to isolate a creak around the BB area for months, he practically stripped the bike completely and it is still there:angry:, cost me a fortune in replacing the "must be this bit we've tried everything else" part:banghead:

Top Bottom