Crank set

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

huggybear0

Über Member
Hi currently I have a Shimano M552, 42/32/24 on my trek ex8 2011. It’s now outdated and rather than putting new chain rings on wiggle has an offer of a Shimano SLX M672 Triple Chainset 10 speed 175mm - 40/30/22t Black

as you can see the rings are slightly different.

I wanted to ask will I be able to put this on instead along with a 10 speed cassette.
Thanks.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I'm sure it would be possible to replace it with the M672. What bottom bracket type do you have? If you don't know post a pic. A link to the new chainset would be useful do we can all see what you are talking about.
The new one has a smaller big chairing so you'll need to move your front mech down.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You should be okay, there are two types of Hollowtech bb, you have the press fit, there is also one for threaded BBs but the crank sets are the same and the one you're proposing is MTB specific so should have the correct spindle length for the BB shell.

OP
OP
huggybear0

huggybear0

Über Member
Brilliant thanks. Do you think it’s worth changing the whole crank rather than new chain rings??

OP
OP
huggybear0

huggybear0

Über Member
It’s ok. Shimano don’t make / sell new chain rings but I can get some that will fit it.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Just thought, when you remove the old one make a note of any spacers on the crank spindle.
You shouldn't need any special tools apart from the little pre tensioner thingy, one should come with the crankset.

Top Bottom