Crank set

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andymac

Hi everyone I have been given a Giant Yukon Bike whick needs attention but the main problen is the crank/pedal or whatever its called:blush: Basically the left pedal is has a major wobble and im no sure whats going on and what part i need to replace could anyone help

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
If it's only the left crank which wobbles, it sounds like it is loose on the bottom bracket. However, from your pictures, it seems that there is a serious chunk missing from the left crank in that I can see no retaining bolt.

I would suggest the best way of dealing with it is to replace the bottom bracket and chainset. Not cheap I'm afraid.

gbb

Legendary Member
Hi andymac.
You have several options..
If the BB is a square taper, you may be able to get a non drive crank arm and fit that. You;ll probably need a new retaining bolt too. You still need to get the old crank off, which looking at the state of it, could be problematic.
Non drive crank from halfords...maybe £10, so long as you're not fussy about it matching the other side.

Reading the specs on the Yukon...depending on how old yours is, you may have the Truative Powerspline BB (the spindles got 12 splines on it) in there. If you have...you may be able to order a correct crank from a LBS or Halfords, but you still got to get the old one off.

Alternatively, get a budget matching BB and crankset (square taper will be ok) and fit the whole lot. It'll be about £10 for the BB and about £25 ish for Suntour cranksets or similar.
If a LBS does it...add extra for labour.
If you want to do it...add extra for a crank extractor and BB tool...or ask a good friend

andymac said:
Hi everyone I have been given a Giant Yukon Bike whick needs attention but the main problen is the crank/pedal or whatever its called:blush: Basically the left pedal is has a major wobble and im no sure whats going on and what part i need to replace could anyone help

Good grief! that is, without a doubt, the most badly bodged left hand crank I have ever seen. The good news (as far as I can tell from the pics) is that all you need is a new left hand crank. It's a £10 (ish) part and a five minute job.

OP
OP
A

andymac

Thank you everyone I got a new left crank and retaing bolt and alls good. I had a job getting the crank off as the retaing bolt was rounded off I had to drill it out. New crank cost me a £5 not the best but fine for me.

gbb

Legendary Member
andymac said:
Thank you everyone I got a new left crank and retaing bolt and alls good. I had a job getting the crank off as the retaing bolt was rounded off I had to drill it out. New crank cost me a £5 not the best but fine for me.

I think thats a result andy :smile:

Top Bottom