Crank stuck on Bottom Bracket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

drrry

Hi everyone!

Wonder if anyone can advise how I separate this bottom bracket from the crank? I can twist it to an extent but it feels like the metal has bulged or something and cannot free it from the crank regardless of any amount of hammer bashing.
sestjt.jpg

Thanks.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
:welcome:You could try one of these

Google Ball Joint Splitter, it's used on cars to separate suspension components. It'll probably wreck the bearings though.

Tim Hall

Seeing as it's removed from the bike, turn it over, support the chainring on the jaws of a vice, as close to the BB cup as possible. Get a piece of steel rod, place it against the end of the spindle and whack it with a hammer.

OP
OP
D

drrry

Thanks everyone, think I'm indeed going to need a big hammer! I've got a nut splitter from a previous project with my car (didn't end well :sad:) so might give that a go in combination with a vice or something.

It was a tough call whether to restore the bike to original or convert to fixie but think I'll go with the fixie idea... paint is pretty shocking and don't think there's much chance of restoring it. Will chuck a 'before' pic up in a bit for anyone interested. It's a Saxon Sprint from the 80s

OP
OP
D

drrry

Why not go to a square taper BB and a crank like this
625665139_2668.jpg

Less than £30 for a crank (I'm using one on my 3 speed/optional SS wheeled Raleigh 'Courier' project) and suitably 'period' looking. :becool:
Yep, that's what I'm gonna do now- not worth the hassle to try and replace the old bottom bracket with like-for-like... especially as I'd be stuck using those damn cotter pins grr!

Just in the process of measuring up my BB to make sure I get a compatible one... didn't realise how cheap BBs were!

Any ideas for cheap wheels? Got 27ers on at the moment but don't mind going for 700c (not planning on putting brakes on, naughty naughty!). Best price I've found is ~£55 for just a rear flip flop on ebay. Am about to hit buy on these at £68 for front and rear: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/351339968904

OP
OP
D

drrry

Here she is before I was let loose with my socket set:
315jpl4.jpg

Managed to strip most major parts off ready for painting. Pub quiz was calling though so didn't get round to front brakes/forks.

2805zih.jpg

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Not a big fan of fixed wheel (tried a mates out in the 70s :eek:) but running a bike with no brakes is farking stoopid. It ain't difficult to get calipers that fit a bike changed from 27inch wheels to 700c, they're only a touch smaller. On my Raleigh project I'm going the other way 26inch (imperial not MTB) to 700c which are a touch larger and that just means changing to 'short reach' brakes (Weinmann type 500) which I just happen to have hanging up in the workshop (shed)
EDIT- As you plan on changing from 27 inch to 700c you should be able to use the brakes you have got, the difference is only 8mm in the total size so you should only need to move the pads 4mm or so further down the 'arms' of the brake caliper.

Last edited:

Lonestar

Veteran
I just fixed my bottom bracket for the first time,usually get the bike shop to do it and it was quite easy.Still it had become loose beforehand.

Ordered tools and new BB from Ebay.

OP
OP
D

drrry

Sorry for the mega post bump but though it was worth keeping this to one thread.

Also apologies that I've not had much input on the CC community over the past year- I've been a lurker for a long while!!

So the latest is that I never bothered to free the bottom bracket from the crank. I've just applied a couple of layers of primer to the frame and forks ready for sanding and then painting:

akfv6h.jpg

Wire coat hangers and a washing line work a treat if you don't have a paint shop handy.

I've got a question to pick all of your clever brains. I know there are several different thread types for Bottom Brackets (Italian, English etc). I've removed my BB already and wondered whether there's a way to tell what thread type I've got? Or is there a rule of thumb that says frames built around x era in y country have z thread type?

It's a Saxon Sprint, made in Britain around the 80s as far as I know.

Thanks you wonderful lot!

Top Bottom