Cranks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FIZZPIT

Hi,

Could someone please explain how much of a difference there is between double and triple chainsets?

I'm leaning towards a triple as I live in Yorkshire (Very hilly place!)

Is there loads of differnce between these two set ups? As a beginner, the ratios range seems roughly the same (but with less choice in between on the double). I'm guessing that's all it is.... is it?

Shimano 4550 34/50

TruVativ Touro 30/42/52

Big T

Guru
Triple will give you a lower gear - 30x27 is lower than 34x27. I have a triple on one bike and a double on the other. I don't use the small ring on the triple very much, but it's nice to have it there just in case.

One disadvantage of a compact (50/34) chainset is when you're cruising on the flat, you have to be in the big ring. The small ring is only ever used in hilly terrain. With a triple, you can cruise on the middle ring.

Triples do weigh more and if you're using Shimano, you'll need a new L/H STI shifter if converting to a triple. You'll probably also need a new front mech.

OP
OP
F

FIZZPIT

Thanks guys, I think it's got to be a triple really. Nice to have that reassurance of smaller gears should I need them.

Slightly off topic but can I also ask about brakes too,

Which of the following are the better brakes and again is there much difference?

Dual pivot long reach & Tektro linear pull

Thanks again. I'm currently trying to compare specs on a couple of bikes so all your help is appreciated.

domtyler

Über Member
Go for the compact. you can then change easily to a standard double when you are back to fitness.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
I have a compact double on my road bike. When the front meck is set up right you can go along doing about 19mph in the small ring. Chain will be at a slightly strange angle though.
I have gone up some decent sized hills on a compact double and so far haven't needed to change to a tripple. Only problem i found is when going up a hill with people that have a tripple and go into the smaller ring then smaller then mine.
Although going up Westdale Lane(for anyone who knows it) can sometimes hurt alot. Especially when the wind is head on. I often wish for a tripple then.

AnotherComeBack

Another advantage of a triple over a double (assuming you're not racing) is that you don't need such a low gear on the cassette, so you get the benefit of a close ratio cassette but still have a low gear for steep climbs

Top Bottom