Crap brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
My Specialized disc brakes are crap, always have been. Swapped the pads for soft compound but no different. The original ones squealed when hot.
My V brakes on my Trek are spot on. Good old standard V brakes.

Yet to speak to someone in person who likes their disc brakes.
Hello. I really like my disc brakes. Cable BB7's. Wouldn't ride a commute bike without them. My next bike in my stable which will be a high end carbon jobbie, will also have disc brakes.
Set up properly, disc brakes are simply brilliant.

outlash

also available in orange
Same here, the discs on my Day One (Hayes CX expert) are better than any rim brakes I've used and like Ian, my next bike and probably all my bikes in future will have discs.

Tony.

I must admit I think the total design of these brakes are a total cock up cable actuated hydraulic brakes with the reservoir on the calliper.. beyond me , except for money saving as in being able to use cable Ultegra levers,.....But if anyone out there can explain the theory behind it, Please enlighten me.....:whistle:

Shimano and SRAM have been very slow off the blocks developing hydraulic road levers which actuate mechanical gears. Spyr HYRD was released in early 2013, so was developed in 2011/2012. It is an interim solution to fill a gap in the marketplace.

goody

Veteran
As I said earlier with decent cables, pads and setup and bedded in correctly they are as good as a good rim brake in the dry and better in the wet my only gripe is a bit of squeal from the front in the wet. The performance is there it's just been bit of a learning curve getting it! If you want Campagnolo then your options are limited to Hope V2 which are expensive and I had heard not that great, BB7, Spyre or HYRD. The advantages as I see them are no rim wear (but road disc wheel choice isn't huge), better in the wet, I have three bikes sharing the same pad design, and a bike I can take the road wheels out of and stick in the CX ones for a bit of off roadish fun.

@AndyWilliams Well, then I guess we are going to have to make a point of meeting on the Dun Run to talk bikes and disc brakes!
(As well as the evil that is IBS...!)

Yep, another BB7 cable disc fan here. :smile:
In spite of the fact that I managed to lock the rear descending a very steep hill on Skye last year, which scared the hell out of me!

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I've got these on a Whyte Sussex as well - the back brake is poor as you describe, requiring either a long lever pull or to be set up using the barrel adjuster which is not recommended as noted above (or in a link somewhere here). It's still better in the wet than a rim brake but not in the dry. The front is much better and is more than a match for rim brakes in any condition, but does judder badly under hard braking. I also have a Cube MTB/Hybid with full hydraulic discs and it's much better in feel and braking performance despite being much heavier.

They've only been used for a few hundred commuting miles so they may improve, but a new set of pads may also be tried as per Joey B.

Custom24

Über Member
I've got these on a Whyte Sussex as well - the back brake is poor as you describe, requiring either a long lever pull or to be set up using the barrel adjuster which is not recommended as noted above (or in a link somewhere here). It's still better in the wet than a rim brake but not in the dry. The front is much better and is more than a match for rim brakes in any condition, but does judder badly under hard braking. I also have a Cube MTB/Hybid with full hydraulic discs and it's much better in feel and braking performance despite being much heavier.

They've only been used for a few hundred commuting miles so they may improve, but a new set of pads may also be tried as per Joey B.
You mean the Suffolk, or the Sussex? The latter has mechanical discs, not hydraulics.

OP
OP
ChrisV

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
Got the bike back yesterday from the LBS I bought it from. Much improvement!

They changed the brake cables I think, which made a massive difference the guy said. Also put new brake pads on as old ones were contaminated. Just charged for pads, labour and the cables done for free as would likely be a warranty issue.

So kudos to the LBS!

Had an immediate opportunity to test them out as due to wearing tight trousers when I had a wee test run, my phone button was pressed and Siri activated. I heard 'Now calling Ann xxx' who was my ex-boss - properly awkward!! I immediately slammed on the brakes and found they worked rather well!

Jenkins

Legendary Member

Update on this problem - the rear brake deteriorated to the point that it became completely ineffective and then the calliper refused to release unless moved by hand. Suspecting that the cables had become contaminated, I looked at replacing them myself and soon gave up on the idea thanks to the internal cabling of both inner & outer making it impossible to even pull the inner cable through. Booked it in and even the LBS had trouble removing them without resorting to brute force!

It turns out that even with new cables the calliper wouldn't release and, after further investigation, it was found that seal was leaking requiring replacement of the whole unit - thankfully this was done under warranty. The leak had contaminated the disc and pads hence the lousy braking so these were cleaned (disc) and replaced (pads).

Got the bike back today and took it out for a test this evening. The brakes now feel just as good as when I first picked it up with a only a short pull required on the lever and everything is back to normal, including another flat thanks to the lousy Maxxis Detonators (Gatorskins going on tomorrow!)

BenScoobert

How are they 2 months later? Thinking of buying them for my croix de fer 2010, I pull a 55kg trailer and would prefer more stoppage if I can have it.
I can get the pair for £150

Jenkins

Legendary Member
@BenScoobert - They are working just how they should be - reliable, good stoppers and no problems since being sorted. Not as good as the full hydraulic discs on my Cube hybrid thing, but better than the mechanical discs I had on a Boardman.

Top Bottom