Crash at a Crit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Looks like team mates all taking each other out.

oldroadman

Veteran
What on earth anyone wants to have a camera on the bike for I have no idea? I thought they were not allowed anyway? But, it's a crit, peole fall off, usually because their confidence exceeds their ability to handle the bike and take bends safely and fast. Which looks like the cause here, although the video quality is so poor (so why bother with it), it's hard to tell!

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Not sure on the legality of cameras in races, some pro's are riding with them (Robbie McEwan uses a camera a lot) so the rule, if it exists can't be that strictly imposed.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Looks like he caught the front tyre on the little ridge in the tarmac, perhaps? Teammates almost caused a second stack by sitting up and swerving to the left, when they were on the straight.... I dont understand that.

ayceejay

Guru
Isn't it a rule (written or otherwise) that if you hear a crash behind you you keep your head down and carry on?

VamP

Banned
shoot happens fast in crits. Whoever said above basic errors has never ridden in a crit, these guys are not beginners.

Cameras are not allowed in BC sanctioned events, but it's not particularly enforced. I have seen number being used. I think in the US it's allowed.

The first guy clipped the barrier, which sent him off racing line, he grabbed handful of front brake and endoed off, apparently taking out another rider. The second incident was caused almost certainly by the guy in red braking unexpectedly - possibly due to someone braking ahead of him. The guy in black nearly went into the back of him and swerved to avoid a crash and nearly took out a team mate.

Good illustration of how small errors get amplified further down the pack.

oldroadman

Veteran
s*** happens fast in crits. Whoever said above basic errors has never ridden in a crit, these guys are not beginners.

Cameras are not allowed in BC sanctioned events, but it's not particularly enforced. I have seen number being used. I think in the US it's allowed.

The first guy clipped the barrier, which sent him off racing line, he grabbed handful of front brake and endoed off, apparently taking out another rider. The second incident was caused almost certainly by the guy in red braking unexpectedly - possibly due to someone braking ahead of him. The guy in black nearly went into the back of him and swerved to avoid a crash and nearly took out a team mate.

The errors looked pretty basic, but always prepared to give the benefit of the doubt. No indication of the level of riders. If it's me you are referring to as "never having ridden a crit", that would be an error. I've had a bit of experience at a reasonable level.

VamP

Banned
The errors looked pretty basic, but always prepared to give the benefit of the doubt. No indication of the level of riders. If it's me you are referring to as "never having ridden a crit", that would be an error. I've had a bit of experience at a reasonable level.
No it wasn't you.

VamP

Banned
[QUOTE 2623954, member: 30090"]I'd say not getting your line right through a corner and panicking is a basic error.

What makes you think I have not rode a crit?[/quote]
Just a guess

OP
OP
gaz

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
s*** happens fast in crits. Whoever said above basic errors has never ridden in a crit, these guys are not beginners.

The first guy didn't hit the barrier, he adjusted his body position so that he wouldn't hit the barrier but this took his line to got straight into the back of the rider in front. Wheel clipped the rider in front and off he went.

The second one the rider moved out of the pack really quickly and slowed for some reason, his team mate who was trying to catch up then had to swerve, going over the top of the bars.

That's how I interpret the situations based on the information sustained from the video.

Top Bottom