Crashnalysis

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
I fitted the Vittoria Zaffiro IV to the fixed at the start of the winter and I've not been impressed with them, they don't feel secure at all. Monday on a descent just after a quarry that was covered in thin mud they were feeling very twitchy and I was having to lean back on the fixed wheel and curb my speed, on my other bike thats fitted with Rubino's I'd have just ridden down it, the Vittoria's will be ditched at the end of this winter.

Different tyre with different rubber, so can’t comment on the ones you have.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
The roads are very slippery, I think its as simple as that. I'm in the car today, its amazing how much more grip there is in a 2ton+ metal box on 4 wheels versus a pedal bike currently, and that's before needing to think about things like stopping :laugh:.

Turn off all the electronic aids and you’ll see just how slippy it is in a car. I’ve seen a number of cars spinning wheels in recent weeks. That’s without ice about.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
I was back out on the bike earlier this week the lack of grip on the roads is pretty evident. Falling off in the middle of no where is fine, but hitting the deck on a round about with traffic around is whole different matter.

Am sticking 100% to driving the next few weeks. Still doing plenty of riding, but in a nicer/safer setting :smile:.

View attachment 628521

You could always try cycling a bit easier than your happy hard and hard hard effort. Bit more zone 2 to deal with slippy conditions.

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
So what will clear up the slippiness, lots of rain? Not really had gritters out up here yet either, although snow is forecast in some places over the next few weeks.

... and add in 3'c air temperature, which hugely reduces grip.

I don't know the exact reasons, but the cycling internet has thrown up 4 different people in as many days sliding off on apparently dry roads. Including 1 video on twitter.

So I'd blame the road conditions, and aim to take care until Spring.
I heard about 2 more victims overnight, both within 10 miles of my home.

Solocle

Über Member
Somewhere, in some police station, there will be a map, some photos, some pins, some string and a circle around your street. They’ll be on to you soon.
Inspector Frost 😳

Top Bottom