Crazy ebike rider CS7

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonker

Guru
Got passed by an ebike rider carrying a ladder on the CS7 in Tooting. I was doing 12-15mph so he must have been doing 20mph.

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
Ebikes may be great for people who have physical difficulties, but I sometimes wonder if some people, who would never want to ride an ordinary push bike, see them as an alternative to a motor bike due to them not needing a licence and insurance, although I have been told the batteries don't last long enough for that really. A few months ago, I saw a bloke riding one through our village at about 30 mph, he wasn't pedalling. Earlier this morning I saw a woman riding one down the road, doing about 20 mph, again not pedalling.

It seems their benefits might be countered to some degree by their potential for misuse, such as the bloke you saw, who sounds rather dangerous to himself and others.

OP
OP
bonker

bonker

Guru
Yes Vickster, evening rush hour ie dark and very busy. He was going very fast lots of bags and a foldy up ladder ( still quite long and heavy). He was also carrying a few bags.
I agree with Roadhump but I wondered if there were bikes out there that have been modified or just don't meet the rules on top speed etc.
I'm not that bothered, live and let live etc. Thought others might have an insight.
I don't hang around and he shot past me.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
What's crazy? I've carried ladders on a bike, although only under my own power so somewhat slower.

If he was going at 20mph then he must have been under his own power too - unless he has derestricted his bike, which I'm sure he wouldn't have done because that would be ever so naughty!

@bonker I've been told by someone who knows about this kind of thing that it's actually very easy to derestrict an e-bike, if you know what you're doing.

Randy Butternubs

Über Member
but I sometimes wonder if some people, who would never want to ride an ordinary push bike, see them as an alternative to a motor bike due to them not needing a licence and insurance

I'm not sure that's such a bad thing. We should be encouraging slower, electric 2-wheelers whether they are closer to bicycles or to mopeds in order to improve congestion, air quality in cities and the safety of vulnerable road users. Where you draw the line is obviously not so simple. IIRC in the US you don't need a license to ride what we call a moped (motorbike limited to 30mph).

It seems patently ridiculous to me that a 20mph electric scooter is a motorbike in law and is subject to the same requirements as a 200mph motorcycle. Motorbike licensing in particular is so desperately convoluted in this country that it alone must be putting a lot of people off.

jarlrmai

Veteran
It's fine they just need to use the road and not mix it with cyclists on bike/mixed bike/ped only infrastructure and also be properly setup. 15.5 is not that much slower than 20 if they want to use an ebike legally.

QFour

Regular
Most of the kit ones can be adjusted to go over the 15mph limit but you can pedal faster if you want. Some of the Bosch ones had a mod that changed the way the speed sensor worked this effectively reduced the number of wheel revolution that were sent back to the motor thus kidding the motor into thinking it was going slower than it actually was. We have a couple of converted electric Kansi fold ups and they are great. They will reach 15mph happily and then the power just dies away. Geared so they are nice and easy to ride we won't be breaking the sound barrier anytime soon.

Whilst this individual is clearly being a bit of a tit, riding so fast in and around slow moving cyclists and pedestrians, it's one less guy in a car hauling 1-3 tonnes of steel just to get to and from work or the shops. It seems a pity to me that we are not able to utilise >250W motors due to our backwards laws. eBikes have the potential to green our transport system, with our CO2 emission targets and Paris agreement, you would think we might have some joined up thinking and not have to contend with 15.5mph cut-outs whilst hybrids and inefficient eCars are rammed down our throats as the only solution. A fit rider can easily beat the limiter speeds on a road bike whilst on the flat. It seems grossly unfair that the majority of motorists are able to flaunt the rules of the road, and drive massively overpowered engines with ridiculous top speeds whilst endangering the lives of more vulnerable road users and carry on polluting without repercussion, whereas legislation prohibits the uptake of greener technologies.

Personally, I would have no qualms about defeating the limiters, or using powerful motor (>250W), but I would be discreet about it, and make a point not to endanger others. Disc brakes should be mandatory due to the higher velocity. The only problem is, if you are involved in an accident that's no fault of your own, the law might throw the book at you, and settlements might be reduced. You'll likely get points on your license too if you drive.

A point about defeating limiters vs using more powerful motors, the latter often makes more sense, because a more powerful motor would be able to haul you and goods at the limit of 15.5mph, whereas the 250W motors would be quite underpowered, and prone to overheat and become less efficient at travelling at higher speeds. That said, I understand why the motor is limited, because if we have idiots flying around on poorly maintained bikes with high power motors, unregistered, and no safety checks or third party liability, it's a recipe for disaster. I think more work needs to be done getting people out of polluting cars and on to sensible (but slightly faster than current legal) e-bikes to make them more attractive.

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Derestricting most mechanical things, reduces its life span drastically and so I cannot imagine why someone who has paid a huge wad of cash would do that.

Electric bikes are very popular in Denmark with all age groups but I have yet to see one of the kit versions.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
There are lots of models that don't need "de-restricting" now. Some 1000W or more, especially on MTB. Some have a simple switch that is intended for off-road, which doesn't limit the motor at all. There is a lady who commutes to my place of work, up a really long and steep hill, doing about 20mph up it. Totally illegal, but not as potentially dangerous as a speeding car IMO